CustomEditField

I am really struggling to find the source to the code which gives the exact coordinates as to where the caret is placed. I not taking about the number of characters but the where the exact amount of pixels are measured???

Another problem I have found is trying to get the blinker to keep redrawing and redraw fully while typing.

If I am right the blinker and the caret are the same thing, right?? So, these are both problems related to the blinker.

Any help on this.

THANKS

EditField is deprecated under Xojo. This is not an answer, but think TextArea (or TextField).

Another problem I have found is trying to get the blinker to keep redrawing and redraw fully while typing.
I suppose you have Windows habbits…

If you are happy enough, the cursor is not above the text you are writting… That is why, in Mac OS, then OS X, the cursor is hidden when you wrote text. And I do not understand why you want to see your Cursor while you are typing text.
Now, when you move the Mouse (TouchPad), the cursor reappears immediately.

At last, I do not understand where you have a trouble.

“caret” is not a word used in Xojo.

What do you want to do with the location (in pixels or in characters) of the text cursor ?
Get an eye there: Cursors, IBeam: The text insertion cursor that indicates that text can be entered into the object.

How to get the text insertion cursor location (in characters) ?
TextArea.SelStart

How to get the position (location) of a character in the TextArea:
TextEdit.CharPosAtLineNum
TextEdit.CharPosAtXY
TextEdit.InsertionPosAtXY
TextEdit.LineNumAtCharPos

HTH

[quote=59871:@Emile Schwarz]EditField is deprecated under Xojo. This is not an answer, but think TextArea (or TextField).

I suppose you have Windows habbits…

If you are happy enough, the cursor is not above the text you are writting… That is why, in Mac OS, then OS X, the cursor is hidden when you wrote text. And I do not understand why you want to see your Cursor while you are typing text.
Now, when you move the Mouse (TouchPad), the cursor reappears immediately.

At last, I do not understand where you have a trouble.

“caret” is not a word used in Xojo.

What do you want to do with the location (in pixels or in characters) of the text cursor ?
Get an eye there: Cursors, IBeam: The text insertion cursor that indicates that text can be entered into the object.

How to get the text insertion cursor location (in characters) ?
TextArea.SelStart

How to get the position (location) of a character in the TextArea:
TextEdit.CharPosAtLineNum
TextEdit.CharPosAtXY
TextEdit.InsertionPosAtXY
TextEdit.LineNumAtCharPos

HTH[/quote]
Sorry, I am talking about the CustomEditField and not the EditField. This is not built-in to Xojo. This is one of Alex Restrepo’s classes.

I already looked but have fixed the problem now anyway.

Thanks