Currency on Restaurant project

No. I give them the credit card and let them charge whatever tax is added.

It is very disappointing if you have one dollar left, you see a shop selling a canned coke for $1 and they don’t want to give it to you because you don’t have the pennies for the tax.
So I love to see prices including all taxes.

While that is true… 99% of the price stickers are printed by the product vendor or the merchants head office and they don’t want to deal with it… its not like a Mom/Pop store where they write the prices on items.

I would “assume” if I bought an item in any given EU country, that I would pay the same amount (incl VAT) at any vendor in that country?
Not so here in the US… not only is the base price subject to the vendors whim (within reason), but the sales tax changes by area… (there are 5 different sales tax zones within 10 miles of where i live)

A pot ?

Jeff, how can you write such thing ??? I’m shocked ! :wink:

For once that I know “a common background” …

I don’t live in Europe but that is not the case. The price of an item is set by the merchant otherwise, you know, competition law…

Sebastian,

while I understand why you are doing thingw how you are doing them, you are talking about a restaurant, not with an accountant.

Except in a Burger King, I never saw in restaurants any price with cents.

Question: are-you developing that solution to sale to who want to buy it or are you creating this software in relation to a restaurant owner ? In the later case, you can ask him lot of questions. In the former, you can make a market reseach (part of the development process) and get data (read menu of some restaurants, etc).

At eat time, workers do not have time to waste with details like cents; customer too.

I think you have a bunch of good answers now (either the computer and the human points of view).

Edit: Prices never ends with .90 in restaurants (nor hotels, nor…).

Maybe we wait for @Sebastian Kapellas to respond?

[quote=348489:@Dave S]In US it is up to nearest 1c …

so I I buy something for 50c … with tax it is 54c… but if I buy 2 of them… its is 1.09[/quote]

Unfortunately this example is wrong: 54c - 50c = 4 c = 8% or a little less in case rounding is UP to the nearest 1c
the same formula executed on the 2 items = 100c +8% (or a little less) can not be more than 108c. The difference of 1c could be the tip but i don’t think that.

8,6% would make it work.

50 + 8,6% rounded is 54
100 + 8,6% rounded is 109

Dave said in his example rounding UP to the nearest 1c, in that case :
50 +8.6% would give as result : 54.3c rounded up to 55c
100 +8.6% would give a result : 108.6c rounded up to 109c

If it was only rounding then you were right, in this case not, sorry.

Sorry for the delay.

My problem is when i pass the value to the cash register.
Cash register round price always up.
So the problem was when i was sending to the cash machine
0.150 as quantity and 15.9 as unit price, the machine calculated total to 2.39
but my program calculated it to 2.38 so cash machine threw an error.

With ceil everything works fine!