Ctrl + Enter for Continuation Line in Editor

I have not been able to get the “Ctrl + Enter” key combination to work in Xojo to leave the “_” at the end of line and start a new line. This worked well in Real Studio.

I have been able to manually type the underscore and then Enter to get a continuation line, but the Ctrl + Enter key combination does not work for me.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior ?

Yes.
Its actually something we don’t have a way to fix in Cocoa because of how Cocoa handles text input.

So… does that mean that you can;t make it work ?
Maybe it should be removed from the User Guide.
Also, it sure would be nice to have a table of Contents for the User Guides - it would make finding things much faster.

Thanks to all.

[quote=27104:@Ron Bower]So… does that mean that you can;t make it work ?[quote]
We’re discussing options with Apple - really.
Quite literally the way the text input system works on OS X is so radically different that we probably can’t.
We had to write a new special plugin for OS X (the text input canvas) because its that different.
If you want your apps to behave like OS X text editing apps do you cannot rely on “Keydown” to get the right behaviors (like international text input) which we could under Carbon.

Very likely - although it may actually still work on Windows (I have’t tried that recently)

[quote=27104:@Ron Bower]Also, it sure would be nice to have a table of Contents for the User Guides - it would make finding things much faster.
[/quote]
On OS X you can open them in Preview an get the side bar but thats not quite a TOC.
Paul tells us that producing a TOC in iBooks Author is a bit harder than you might imagine.

No it was removed in R2

Very likely - although it may actually still work on Windows (I have’t tried that recently)[/quote]

If Control-Enter will not work, could you bind it to something else, such as Opt+Enter or something? Also, Shift-Enter isn’t working in some places, <https://xojo.com/issue/19636>

The problem is that IF we bind those keys using the available mechanisms then they change for EVERY app :frowning:
I know that sounds crazy but if you explore Apples Key Binding system & API’s you’ll be surprised as we are.
There seems to be a way we might be able to use keybindings specific to an app but it requires a private API and we are trying to implore Apple to make it public. But then apparently folks have been asking for this since 1997 :stuck_out_tongue:

It kind of ties our hands as to what we can do

So, it seems that the solution to making a continuation line it to just type an underscore character followed by a new line (Enter).

Yes ?

Stupid question maybe, but why penalize the Windows platform users?

Well I guess it doesn’t work in Windows in R2… If you are using Windows you can get a copy of AutoHotkey (free and open source) and add the following macro:

^Enter:: Send {space}_{Enter} return

Of course you can do a lot more too, AHK is powerful! You could write macros for code generation etc.