Cross Platform UI runtime issues worsen

I know that his has been discussed and argued over may times before, but I’m being bitten by it in so many nasty ways on a new project created exclusively in Xojo 2017r2 and r2.1.

A very straightforward UI design - All native Xojo controls.

On Mac OS X - things are fluid, smooth, and operate as expected - lock behavior, scrolling, click selects, refreshing/painting, resizing, and normal highlighting are all as good as it gets. And then I build for Linux and Windows and the beauty of the UI collapses in a complete pile of ugly. All I’m doing in the project is swapping page panel pages, resizing the main window, changing lock assignments to add container instances as new tasks are defined, and scrolling listboxes. The result, however, is scattered refreshes, non-visible pages flashing, controls and containers appearing in places they shouldn’t and then settling down properly. Controls that were not “unlocked” during resize events no longer obey their lock assignments and end up moving all over the window. And I don’t mean that glitching seen in even Visual C++ projects, but utter non-usability of the resulting app. And, I’ve not even started tying in the back end logic.

I have 2 other apps that are running on all three platforms successfully with very similar UI operations that do not exhibit these issues (a bit of flicker on Windows, but nothing like this new project).

What’s the difference? The working apps were built using REAL Studio 2012r2.1.

I don’t want to come off as just grumpy, but is anything being done within the Xojo frameworks to get to the bottom of this? How are we supposed to work with this type of mess?

Did you create a feedback with an example?

That happens when cross-compiling is used. I had the same thing altough a couple simple fixes in code where enough. Sometime you’d want to keep you head to windows even developing on a mac. Try to have minimal overlapping controls and do serious memory management; keep you code as effient as possible.

I tend to use modules alot, those help in having a smaller code base.

Eventually it’s frustrating that mac shows fluent almost always and no warnings apear telling it won’t be working when building on another platform. That could be a helpful feature, unfortunately xojo doesn’t work that way.

[quote=352741:@Derk Jochems]That happens when cross-compiling is used. I had the same thing altough a couple simple fixes in code where enough. Sometime you’d want to keep you head to windows even developing on a mac. Try to have minimal overlapping controls and do serious memory management; keep you code as effient as possible.

I tend to use modules alot, those help in having a smaller code base.

Eventually it’s frustrating that mac shows fluent almost always and no warnings apear telling it won’t be working when building on another platform. That could be a helpful feature, unfortunately xojo doesn’t work that way.[/quote]
In my case, this is a new design with next to zero back end functionality, so the only things wired up are the UI components. We can’t get it much tighter than that.

As for compiling on Mac and having problems on the other platforms, I’ve also gone there with almost (if not) identical results when compiling natively.

I’m creating a Feedback report, but when I get to the list of similar Feedback reports, I get disconnected with a 505 / unknown socket error -1005.

Yes feedback://showreport?report_id=49776, but it contains proprietary info, so it’s private to Xojo.

Well, there’s two major things… Windows got a drawing framework overhaul to use Direct2D in 2016r4 and Linux was updated to use GTK3 in 2017r2.

This is what I have with a project build for OSX and Windows. On Mac perfect, on Windows acceptable, but build with 2016R3.
So you could try to build your new project with 2016R3 which is just prior to the move to Direct2D and GTK3.
If I build with the latest version, 2017R2.1, I see a decline in end-user experience.

Hopefully you can find the root cause from that project that I included.

[quote=352850:@Joost Rongen]This is what I have with a project build for OSX and Windows. On Mac perfect, on Windows acceptable, but build with 2016R3.
So you could try to build your new project with 2016R3 which is just prior to the move to Direct2D and GTK3.
If I build with the latest version, 2017R2.1, I see a decline in end-user experience.[/quote]
Following this tip, I rebuilt that same source using 2016r3 as Joost recommends and it’s like night and day for both Windows and Linux.

So the dive into Direct2D and GTK3 may have resulted in our landing on the rocks instead of the deep water …

I can’t provide specifics, but I have good info that the issue is being heavily looked at within Xojo.