I am experiencing crashes on startup with one of my apps under Windows 7 (running under Parallels), and seem to be out of ideas on how to tackle this one. Maybe one of you guys has an idea of what might be going on or where to look.
Here are the facts:
put msgbox(“Hi Max”) in the 1st line of the app.open event - don’t see that when I run the app (just the “Contact King has stopped working” message by Windows)
Even versions that did run before on this very machine don’t run anymore
If I remote debug from Mac OS the app runs just fine!
All other apps I compile run just fine, just this one doesn’t.
I put system.debuglog(error.message) and msgbox(error.message) in app.UnhandledException-event - to no avail, I don’t see any of this
I also launched debugView on that machine, but it wouldn’t display anything. Maybe I’m not using it correctly though…
Yes. As mentioned, all versions of the app don’t launch anymore on this particular machine. Unless I start it as a remote debug build, which makes the whole issue so mysterious.
Yes, it is.
[quote]Plugins are loaded before the app constructor.[/quote] Well, if it was some plugin loading issue, why then would remote debug builds run whereas normal win32 builds (and win64 builds for that matter, just tested that) wouldn’t?
I just have, I put System.DebugLog(“hello”) as the first line in app.open, but it wouldn’t show up in debugView. I also verified that debugView does display those messages just fine by building a new app that just had this one line in app.open.
What I encountered:
Some event is occurring before app.open. (It shouldnt)
The event that is being exceuted relies on a variable that is initialised in app.open.
But app.open has not fired, and so you get a nil object exception.
While Contact King.exe crashed, the crash is actually caused by “Fault Module Name” which then is “StackHash_86b3”. This is normally a file name, like a DLL or something but in this case is not. I did a search for StackHash and it seems most of the time this StackHash fault is due to DEP.
Okay I read more and also getting the StackHash fault may be a video card driver issue.
Thanks for looking into this again. I submitted the project in a (private) feedback case, but Robin at Xojo was unable to reproduce any of my problems, so I shrugged my shoulders, installed Win 10 (where the app runs fine) and moved on. Probably my win7 installation is somehow hosed.