CountDown until next Xojo update

Hi,

I made and I regularly update 10 applications made with Xojo. I add new features, I correct bugs, etc. (like you I presume).
Last update of Xojo was on August 12, 2014. Then the next one should come out soon (every 3 months).

Would it be possible to have a countdown until next update?

I need to build all my 10 applications. I prefer to wait next Xojo update if it’s in a few days. If it’s in one month or more then I won’t wait. It’s not a problem for me to wait the new version for 4 or 5 months instead of 3. But I repeat, it would be great to know approximately when next Xojo will come out. If possible.

Note : As I’m not good in English, I translate what I wrote in English back to French to see if I don’t make too much mistakes. I do it with http://translate.google.com and it’s funny to see that it translate “Xojo” in “REALbasic” :slight_smile: .

10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - when they are ready :smiley:

That has been the answer for as long as I’ve used RB/Xojo (14+ years)

Yeah, great! Let’s go, make all the developers sweat (more). That’s what i like! :smiley:
Most of my customers do the same on me. Oh, how i hate this! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Haste makes waste. Right?

Beta testers don’t know either … Soon, probably …

question.

are there any bugfixes, feature request, etc… that you are dependent on in the next release of Xojo for your applications? if not, I would not let the current version of Xojo stop you from releasing your applications.

Like any development platiform, when ever you upgrade… you get the honor of verifying that your code is still valid with the current release which could lead to additional delays in your application deployment.

Rich Hatfield, no I don’t wait a special thing in the next realize. It’s just I would be confusing to build and upload all my applications tonight and see tomorrow that Xojo has been updated.

Thomas Rottensteiner, I absolutely don’t want to pressure Xojo’s developers. If they say “we’re late, don’t wait it until one month”. Then ok, I wait.

My job is to distribute Stove. My customers, like all customers don’t like to wait. But what they hate, it’s to not receive their stove when it was expected. They prefer when I call them and I say “sorry, you will have to wait 2 months more because we have a problem”. In this case, I invite them to the restaurant. But I don’t ask that to Xojo team :smiley: .

I know some users are a little upset to wait iOS support. I don’t ask Xojo to develop faster, they do what they can.
And the CountDown already exists, it’s 90 days after previous update. I just ask if they can adjust it. People who cry will cry in every cases, countdown or not.

I am certain you make sure your stoves do not crack or leak before delivering. That would be extremely dangerous. Xojo has to make sure the new version is bug free ( or as close to it as humanly possible) before delivering. And because these are generous people, instead of doing the minimum and wait for the delivery date, they do their maximum until the product is as perfect as doable, with as many new great features as possible. Without breaking confidentiality, I can tell you beta testers are amongst the worst clients, asking for more and more features before the final version, while making sure no bug remains.

So right now the chicken is in the hoven. I can assure you it will be as delicious as they can make it. And just like French cuisine, it cannot be served until absolutely perfect :wink:

And nowhere (that I know of) does Xojo say they will make a release every 90 days… what they do say (or elude to) is making a valiant attempt to have a release “once a quarter”.

So if we want to nail them to that as a strict requirement (something I do NOT want, rather see if “right” than “on time”)… the last release was Aug 12, 2014, that is the 3rd Quarter of 2014. Today is November 14, 2014 the middle of the 4th quarter… That still leaves 47 days until the END of the 4th quarter… But again… I would much rather see them do what is necessary to make a clean release late, than release something just to appease the calendar watchers.

Well, they moved from a 90 day cycle (which I always saud was stupid) to a quaterly schedule (which gives them a bit more flexibility) but as you see it is nearly mid November (4th quarter) and no R3 … so it is fair to say they are late.

I know, “when it is ready”, but that doesn’t change the fact.

They should just go ahead and abandon fixed release cycles completely …

Make new releases when significant new features are included, otherwise have free dot releases with bug fixes whenever appropriate (could even be nightly builds).

For example iOS is a separate license, so there is no need to couple its release with the release of web or desktop, resulting in delayed bug fixes reaching the community.

At the moment, I suppose Xojo spend more time on iOS development than on desktop. I say I suppose.
Then maybe they know that they won’t sort out a Desktop update until 2 months. My suggestion is only to write that somewhere in a countdown.
And if this evening they show a Timer : “Next Xojo Desktop update expected : December 28 2014.”. I won’t say anything, I just will build my applications with the actual Xojo version.

Be sure I don’t write this topic to blame Xojo team.

[quote=143370:@Thomas ROBISSON]At the moment, I suppose Xojo spend more time on iOS development than on desktop. I say I suppose.
Then maybe they know that they won’t sort out a Desktop update until 2 months. My suggestion is only to write that somewhere in a countdown.
And if this evening they show a Timer : “Next Xojo Desktop update expected : December 28 2014.”. I won’t say anything, I just will build my applications with the actual Xojo version.

Be sure I don’t write this topic to blame Xojo team.[/quote]

If you start expecting the next release for December 28, all you risk is a pleasant surprise :slight_smile:

+1

Thomas, your idea is a noble one and in a perfect world would be a great thing to have. But the problem is we don’t live in that ‘perfect world’ and “sh*t happens”. I’ve seen more companies come out as villains than heroes by inducing self-imposed constraints on major developments. If the company is large (e.g., Microsoft, Apple, etc.) they can afford to do so because they have a large resource pool from which to reallocate people to pick up the slack if they’re running behind on that ‘published’ schedule timeframe. I think it’s fair to say that Xojo doesn’t have that luxury. My overwhelming concern with any “self-imposed” deadline is the temptation to rush things at the expense of not adequately checking them out prior to release just to make the published schedule date. That, by far, is a worse alternative than being late yet having everything working.

Actually, I agree with Markus’ statement:

The bottom line is “it is what it is … and it’ll come when it comes”. Rest assured, in order to stay competitive in the industry, I guarantee you that Xojo would not intentionally ever be late on ANYTHING if they had their wish … the earlier they release new products, the better chance they have of market success … and they know that, believe me.

Somehow, I don’t think you’ll ever hear the following conversation within Xojo:
Geoff: “OK folks, we gotta do everything we can to get this new product out to our customers on time.”
Norman/Greg/Joe/Allysa/fill in the blank: “Aw, heck with that, Geoff, we’re having too much fun fielding the angry forum posts from folks that say we’re sitting here with our thumbs up our behinds!”

C’mon folks, Xojo’s Mom didn’t raise no fool! Have a little faith … they know they have to produce and they know the consequences of not doing so. I don’t think they’d still be in business if they didn’t.

[quote=143380:@Don Lyttle]Geoff: “OK folks, we gotta do everything we can to get this new product out to our customers on time.”
Norman/Greg/Joe/Allysa/fill in the blank: “Aw, heck with that, Geoff, we’re having too much fun fielding the angry forum posts from folks that say we’re sitting here with our thumbs up our behinds!”[/quote]

Brilliant!!!

so what happens if the code that works today is broken in next release? how is this going to get your apps out the door on time?

[quote=143356:@Thomas ROBISSON]My job is to distribute Stove. My customers, like all customers don’t like to wait. But what they hate, it’s to not receive their stove when it was expected. They prefer when I call them and I say “sorry, you will have to wait 2 months more because we have a problem”. In this case, I invite them to the restaurant. But I don’t ask that to Xojo team :smiley: .

[/quote]
Thomas, that statement, written by you, should answer your question about when to release your new version. Make your customers happy and release it now. They have no idea whether you used the most recent Xojo version or not and most likely they could care less so long as they get their new version of your app.

Countdown.pause :wink:

Agreed. Especially if it fixes the Inspector/Library issues on Yosemite.

This. I would encourage you to step away from the “bleeding edge” and base your released code on a known stable version of Xojo. Test against new versions, but only put your weight on one that you have had the time to fully vet. Jumping on the latest release and pushing your code out the door is a recipe for disaster. Bugs happen, even to the best developers, such as Xojo. Build in a little margin to check everything out before you jump on the latest and greatest.

Release your new version now and make your customers happy. Don’t wait on Xojo, or anyone else.

This is the beginnig of your problem. It is now (and since sometimes, before Jan 1st, 2013) released quarterly.

The previous quarter release was done on July (July / August / September), the next release will be in the current quarter (October, November / December).

This is what I’ve been told.

Now, I do not wait anything, so no deceipt (if that could be true). I am fortunate enough to have my license ends at the end of the next quarter (January - March 2015).

Tim last sentence above is 100% right !