Could not connect to database

I start Xojo on Mac, create a new project and do nothing but Database->New SQLite Database. Then, instead of opening a database editor like it is shown in the tutorials and webinars, an error alert appears stating “Could not connect to database”. I can’t find quotations of this problem in the web, though I assume it would be unlikely me being the only one to run into this problem. Any hints? This is my very first experience with Xojo.

try posting code showing us what you did, so we don’t have to guess :slight_smile:

No code, only the steps I described in the project window

• start Xojo
  • create a new project
  • use the menu “Insert->Database->New SQLite Database…”

and the error alert will pop up (twice) instead of displaying a database editor as I would expect.

OSX Xojo v2015r2

• start Xojo
  • create a new project
  • asks for name/location of where to put “new” database
  • opens database editor

[fyi… I would NEVER EVER, use this to create a database… I would ALWAYS do it in code… but that is MY opinion]

I just upgraded to OS X Xojo v2015r3 and am getting the same error trying to insert a SQLite database:

• start Xojo
  • create a new project
  • asks for name/location of where to put “new” database
  • Error: Could not connect to database

The database object shows up in the project contents list, but clicking on it gives the same “could not connect” error.
There is no database file created in the location specified in step 4 above.

Mac is running OS X 10.11.1

This is my absolute opinion too. The Database Editor is not useful (and I’m being nice). Better to create your database in one of the numerous free or inexpensive utilities out there and connect to it via code. In the long run you will run into far fewer issues.

While this is no doubt true, if the functionality is in the IDE (not to mention demo’d in tutorials and webinars), it ought to work…

So far nobody had indicated they can duplicate the issue the OP has… it worked just fine for me. I just stated that is not the way I would go about it (working or not)

It may be platform specific. From https://forum.xojo.com/27263-creating-new-sqlitedatabase

One other person has…