Convert Recent Xojo Project to older version?

I have a project that was developed and updated with the latest Xojo (2023r1). I’ve tried to import into Xojo 2020r12. It first says it will covert it to the older format, then says it needs a newer version of Xojo to load.

I do realize I may need to tweak to get it functioning properly in the older version, but how do I get it loaded so I can determine what changes need to be made? I’m trying to build to work on older versions of MacOS than 2023r1 supports. At some point, I might want to go back farther than 2020r12…is that possible and/or even worth the effort? This is not critical and I don’t have a client base needing this.

How far back are you going with your support? With the current Xojo I have some projects where I still support back to Yosemite (testing in my VM farm.) You can set the minimum system for the project in the IDE. I also use AppWrapper and I’m sure it’s helpful, too.

Edit: in the IDE you may see a greyed-out “10.14”. However, while it may not seem obvious, this is editable.

1 Like

I’m not sure at this point. I don’t have anything out there that I need to support that old. I do have a few Macs with the oldest being a 2006 iMac. There’s really a few questions here:

1. How far back is it feasible to take code created with the current release with the understanding that I will need to make some tweaks, maybe a lot depending on the project?

2. Would it be better to build for the oldest system I want to support and then move that forward to newer versions? I’m thinking that could be a pain since some of the nice newer things aren’t available in the older versions.

How does everyone handle this? I’m sure there’s several different answers. As I’ve already mentioned, I don’t have a user base to satisfy here. My inclination is to just use the latest Xojo version I have licensed and call out requirements for my software.

As Apple is pushing to update the system and other software companies too (MS Office is telling me that I need to update from Catalina to use the latest version), and seeing that Xojo supports macOS Mojave and up, and the fact that you don’t have “anything out there”, just use Xojo 2023 and don’t spend time trying to make your apps run in anything older.

2 Likes

No.

Even the “update” functionality is poor, but the downgrade is non existent.

If you already used “Desktop” controls… Your best option is to start from scratch, recreate your layout, create the events and then copy and paste code.

1 Like

It’s a lot of work to maintain a project that transcends Xojo versions well, so I charge a reasonable living wage for it. I don’t recommend attempting to support antiquated Macs, but a huge range of Windows support is still possible.

1 Like

You guys are right. At least in my case, it’s not worth the effort. I was able to get my project working on my 2011 iMac buy using Jerry’s suggestion.

Blockquote
You can set the minimum system for the project in the IDE. I also use AppWrapper and I’m sure it’s helpful, too.

Blockquote
Edit: in the IDE you may see a greyed-out “10.14”. However, while it may not seem obvious, this is editable.

It is nice that I can use older versions of Xojo if I need to compile something for an older system, but I can honestly say that I don’t use my 2006 iMac and don’t know anyone using stuff that old. However, I’ll focus on using the latest.

Thanks!

1 Like