Conversation on Backups - Cant seem to find it

Hi Everyone,

There was a conversation on backups where a program would update a backup copy as the file was saved with Xojo. After searching the forums for half-an-hour, I can’t seem to find the conversation. Can anyone post a link to it for me?

I have a small home network that I would like to backup files in the background on mainly Windows and a mac machine.

A few applications were mentioned that seemed promising.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

I’ve mentioned Filehamster in the past. Works great on Windows.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion. I noticed that filehamster creates new revisions each time the new document (or Xojo file) is saved. Is there anyway to turn this feature off, so that it keeps backing up the same file? I periodically rename my files according to revisions, and creating many different versions of a file seems to use up alot of hard-drive space. Or, is there something else that this program does that I am missing?

Filehamster seems to do most of what I want in a backup system. :slight_smile:

Sincerely…

It is very configurable. I’m not sure about keeping to the same file. But there is an option to limit the number of revisions kept. I have it set to save no more often than 15 minutes apart and keep no more than 10 revisions. I suppose you could set it to keep it to one revision but that loses most of the benefit.

It is good to know that the number of revisions kept can be limited. Chuckle, I was envisioning thousands of images of a file that would take up most of the free space on my hard drive :slight_smile:

Yes, keeping a couple of older copies is definitely the way to go. I’m going to download the free version and play with it. Thanks for your help Bob.

You might also want to take a look at CrashPlan.

(Sorry, I don’t have a link for the thread you are looking for).

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link. I will take a look at CrashPlan.

Its all good - I feel bad for asking about the link, as it should have been easy to find.

Have a Happy New Year!

I’m using SyncBack pro, it does shadow copy if files are locked, if only they’d implement Delta copy I would be a happy camper.

It also has versioning so you can keep say 7 days of versions and easily go back.

Pretty sure it also has foldersync, as soon as you save something to a watched folder it backs it up with versioning.

You can also create multiple backups of the same data saving a versioned copy to 2-3 different drives on the network.

Crashplan 1+

You can have multiple destinations and It even sends you emails when it fails