Control naming conventions revert back to deprecated names in 2019 R3?

With 2019 r3, was this the desired result? I started changing the naming conventions of my controls in some of my projects. The one project took over an hour to select each, right-click and change. When I opened the project in 2019 R3, all of the naming conventions reverted back to the former (action instead of the new pressed for example), and none of them are highlighted as the preferred new action names. Is this a bug?

No, not a bug. The event names were reverted in 2019r2.1 because they caused too many problems for users.

Thanks Greg. Does this mean we should keep using the old event names? Will they ever change back to the new ones? Is it only for the controls (not for all the other deprecated methods and such I.e. RowSet in lieu of RecordSet)?

Correct. The event names will not change again, too many problems for users.

What it means is that we won’t be changing event names on existing controls. Any new controls on the other hand will use the new names.

Ok gotcha. Thanks for the responses

Hmmm, this doesn’t appear to be the case. I just started a new project and added a button. Adding an event handler to it, I got the usual list such as Open, Action, etc. No sign of Opening, Pressed, etc.

I could be wrong, but I think what Greg meant was that if Xojo introduces a new kind of control, like say a dedicated TreeView control, that new control would use the new Event naming convention.

I hope I got that right.

Ah. Well I suppose that is entirely possible although I’m not sure I see the point. It would just mean a level of confusion down the road, as some events would use Open , and others Opening. While that would be straightforward to document, it would be something else to have to keep in mind.

Was this ever mentioned anywhere before? Can’t recall having seen it.

Thus the many many many posts on the topic, resulting in the Event names being reverted back in 2019r2.1

But please, let’s not start all that again :slight_smile:

Yes, in more than one of those posts. Plus there are some blog posts to see here and here.

Maybe as a better example than my “theoretical” TreeView control, I should have mentioned the new Android target where that will obviously have a whole new collection of controls. I think that’s where you might see the new API 2.0 Event names (that’s just me guessing of course).

Anyway, I trust that when any new Event names do start showing up in the future, Xojo will phase them in with some additional forethought. So not to worry, eh :wink:

[quote=471874:@Tim Streater]Ah. Well I suppose that is entirely possible although I’m not sure I see the point. It would just mean a level of confusion down the road, as some events would use Open , and others Opening. While that would be straightforward to document, it would be something else to have to keep in mind.

Was this ever mentioned anywhere before? Can’t recall having seen it.[/quote]
Believe it or not, much of this started because of the original web framework. We ended up needing to be able to differentiate between something that was in the process of happening vs things that have already happened. Take Session.Open for instance. You can’t tell without looking at the docs what state the session is in. That’s why we have the Shown event.

Because the new web framework is a complete overhaul, we’re taking the opportunity to update the control names, properties, methods and events to match the new naming system at the same time. Android will be the same way.