Control Background Color Unstable

[quote=15588:@Greg Olone]Ok. Since you all seem to be using version control, I suggest that you look at the diff of the Window sourcecode. You may find that the backcolor of those fields has been changed. You should be able to revert that one line.

Don’t get me wrong, we’re curious about the cause. We run into this occasionally, but have not been able to reproduce it on demand. If you have repeatable steps, we’d love to know![/quote]

last week, i try to use the text format and i got the same error. when i look at the text file in my text editor, the background properties for those affected control is empty (which make it black background).

I am using RBP with GIT now. don’t bother with the text format now.

I just hit this, for me it was when I switched to VCP format from a binary file that was working fine under 2013r2, and as soon as it was saved in VCP format and reloaded all the background colors were gone on most controls when running, in the IDE they looked right all default to white backgrounds. Modifying the position of a label on a given window and saving the project again fixes all the affected controls on that window in my project at least. Having to open and modify every window is not a viable long term solution, is there by chance a bug report on this floating around?

Just happened here. using .xojo Project format.
I dont have time to reset all the windows or add .backcolor statements to every window.
Im coding in 2012 and building in Xojo.

[quote=15993:@Richard Duke]
I am using RBP with GIT now. don’t bother with the text format now.[/quote]
Using a version control system with the binary formats is mostly pointless since you can’t diff & merge changes using a binary format.
You don’t get any of the benefits of the version controls system except a backup.
You might as well just back it up to a time machine volume or some offsite storage system each day.

I think this bug has been reported - but I’ll confess that I don’t recall the # or if its fixed for a new release or not.

I just spent an hour on diffing and reverting the changes to the backcolor properties for seemingly random controls in my project source files (after a Xojo crash). Here is a screenshot of one of those diff’s:

Steps the led to this:

• Upgraded to 2015r1 from 2014r4.1
  • Opened Project
  • Been working on it all day, saving, running, testing often.
  • Xojo Crashes, I elect to recover, then save.
  • On the next test run, back colors are incorrect on many controls/windows.

I sincerely hope this is fixed in the next point release.

Thanks,

Jim

Anecdotes are nice - reproducible bug reports are far better

an·ec·do·tal
?an?k?d?dl/
adjective
(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

Glad my Anecdotal report amused you.

I’ve seen several reports but haven’t got a reproducible one
I’d expect to see this all the time working in the IDE
I do see other things - trust me I’m well aware of the addition of those stupid tabindexes :slight_smile:
But when doing diffs for svn I only see color changes when I’ve actually touched them

So if you’re seeing this a reproducible case would go a long way towards providing me with something to hunt down & exterminate

[quote=168889:@Norman Palardy]So if you’re seeing this a reproducible case would go a long way towards providing me with something to hunt down & exterminate
[/quote]
Well, that certainly makes sense. But for me, at least, this only happens after an IDE crash and subsequent restore of a modified project. And, that’s only occasionally; not all crashes of the IDE lead to this behavior.

Besides providing before and after files of the window/class code, I don’t know what else we can do to provide a reproducible report.

I’m thinking the best approach/workaround is to ensure that the IDE never crashes :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure Norman will figure out what is going on.

I can’t charge for my time if I’m fixing back color properties all the time…I’ve got 5 kids to feed!!!

Regards,

Jim

I’ve had it happen once & only on 2015R1B? & I’m sure the project was upgraded during the Beta, loaded by 2014R3.1 & reloaded again on 2015R1B? The only entities I had problems with were textfields & they were showing as transparent (yellow in the IDE for some reason).

I confirm that there is a problem with textfield and colors. I solved change from textfield to textarea (xojo desktop Windows 2015R1)