Continuous Forms

Hi,

Background in Microsoft Access and loving Xojo but not sure of the best way to create continuous forms like those available in Microsoft Access.

I am learning connecting to the database and the “basic” single record form layout etc but I can’t find any equivalent to a form that can display multiple records in a list.

I can see that a listbox can show a basic list of items (for example items on an invoice) where very little interaction is needed but what if I have a table of records (say leads in a CRM) that I would like to be displayed with the ability to edit within the grid and perhaps have combo box controls etc (yes I know Access can’t do this).

If this is not possible then using a listbox to open a detail window is the way I will go.

The ListBox can do many of those things, which I’ll be covering in my ListBox webinar next week.

To start, you can use ListBox.EditCell to make a cell inline-editable.

Hi Paul,

Thanks I have signed up to the webinar.

Cheers,

Paul

[quote=32993:@Paul Lefebvre]The ListBox can do many of those things, which I’ll be covering in my ListBox webinar next week.
[/quote]

Will you be covering anything that might be useful to experienced users? I’ve done a lot with the Xojo/RB listbox over the years but there might be new tricks yet to learn!

Probably not for someone at your level, Karen!

I will cover:

• inline editing
  • graphics within cells
  • simulating a popup menu in a cell
  • sorting
  • cell checkbox
  • drag and drop
  • drag re-order
  • alternate row highlighting
  • other event handlers
  • hierarchical list, multiple levels
  • adding levels to hierarchy

Hi Paul

FWIW - I would suggest a listbox “horizontal scrollbar” workout when you require columns to remain constant width and not contract in width to fill available space. I found this extremely difficult to do at first and (as far as I can tell) there’s no real easy way to do it but could be wrong there mind you (just xojo and RB2012 are similar in that respect.

Also I would be interested if you are going to cover Vertical Cell alignment which I cannot work out a good way to do.

Thanks

[quote=33116:@Nick P.]Hi Paul

FWIW - I would suggest a listbox “horizontal scrollbar” workout when you require columns to remain constant width and not contract in width to fill available space. I found this extremely difficult to do at first and (as far as I can tell) there’s no real easy way to do it but could be wrong there mind you (just xojo and RB2012 are similar in that respect.
[/quote]
http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/ListBox.ColumnWidths

If you want the columns to remain a constant width, just set them to a constant width. For example, put 300,300,300,300,300 in the ColumnWidths property in the Inspector or in code (or use the Column property to set the width for each column).

If you leave it blank (or use percents as the widths), the columns will resize to use the available space.