ContainerControl Docs: Screenshots not Xojo

https://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/ContainerControl

Why are the screenshots not Xojo? Xojo Docs are lacking in quality control.

Because we didn’t notice them. It is fixed now. Generally, the Language Reference should not have screen shots in it.

Considering the hundreds upon hundreds of hour spent rewriting the User Guide and updating huge portions of the Language Reference, I surely hope not. But I’m not done yet, either.

[quote=32987:@Paul Lefebvre]Because we didn’t notice them. It is fixed now. Generally, the Language Reference should not have screen shots in it.

Considering the hundreds upon hundreds of hour spent rewriting the User Guide and updating huge portions of the Language Reference, I surely hope not. But I’m not done yet, either.[/quote]

Thanks. For the docs, some functions just need clear examples on how to use them. (That’s what I mean by quality control)

For example, the ExecuteJavascript function for the HTMLViewer lacks a clear example. It has

Dim js As String
HTMLViewer1.ExecuteJavascript(js)

It would be better off with this:

Dim js As String js = "the javsscript to execute" HTMLViewer1.ExecuteJavascript(js)

Indeed. That page was updated last week, for what it is worth. It now shows this:

[code]Dim jsSrc As String

jsSrc = “document.forms[0].elements[‘search’].value=”“xojo”";"
HTMLViewer1.ExecuteJavaScript(jsSrc)[/code]

Certainly, if you find stuff that needs updating, let me know or create a Feedback case. There is a lot of stuff in there!

[quote=32990:@Paul Lefebvre]
Certainly, if you find stuff that needs updating, let me know or create a Feedback case. There is a lot of stuff in there![/quote]
About 85 Mb worth with images & text :stuck_out_tongue:

Paul, I think you’ve done a great job on the documentation.

[quote=32990:@Paul Lefebvre]Indeed. That page was updated last week, for what it is worth. It now shows this:

[code]Dim jsSrc As String

jsSrc = “document.forms[0].elements[‘search’].value=”“xojo”";"
HTMLViewer1.ExecuteJavaScript(jsSrc)[/code]

Certainly, if you find stuff that needs updating, let me know or create a Feedback case. There is a lot of stuff in there![/quote]
Thanks for updating the function with a clear example. Happy to see it.

I just want to second what Henry says. Paul has obviously done a huge amount of very good work in improving all of the documentation including the Language Reference and the User Guides. My guess is that after years of relative neglect, having someone who has overall responsibility for this (and who takes it as seriously as Paul does) is a great thing. While there are remaining weaknesses, I really appreciate the rapid improvements.

And a third. You know how you can tell that someone has never written a line of documentation in their life? When they complain about others’ docs. Documentation is especially tricky because you usually can’t actually test it until it gets used. Additionally, you have to get it to a state where it can evolve with the product and make an ongoing effort to keep it current. The combination of thse makes the OP’s crack about quality control kinda hilarious.

Well, as I said, there are certainly holes in the docs, especially the Language Reference, and areas where examples could be better. But, this is, I suspect, largely a legacy issue. As we agree, Paul is making great strides in improving them across the board. So, I can understand Shane’s frustration, but nothing is perfect. These things are always a work in progress since they are trying to keep up with a rapidly moving target…

This is one of the reasons why there are no books for Xojo. It’s out of date pretty much as soon as it’s printed. It’s good that there is steady updates and additions to the product but bad for authors that have an inkling of writing a comprehensive book on Xojo.

I really like the iBooks format for the user guide. The one thing I can think of that would be a huge improvement (to me anyway) would be to consolidate the four volumes into one. It’s not always obvious to me which volume I should be looking in. But I agree with others here that the docs are generally pretty good once you find what you’re looking for.

I’m investigating ways to accomplish this.

But for now, you can always merge the 4 PDFs together into a single PDF using Preview on OS X (or other apps, I’m sure).

+1

Paul continues to do a fantastic job of refining and expanding the documentation and example projects. His work is greatly appreciated.