Connecting with MySQLCommunityServer is free?

Connecting with MySQLCommunityServer is free or it needs to buy Xojo Database Access license?

Database access license, see Xojo Pricing, it defines the Database Access License as: “Xojo Database Access: For applications that are going to connect to any database (except SQlite, which does not require this license).”

It seems that you are cost conscious, aren’t we all, but you may also want to look at the licensing agreement for the use of MySQL. From one of your previous comments in many of your similar threads on this topic you’re wanting to write a database application for your wife’s medical practice. This has got COMMERCIAL written all over it. Granted I don’t have the full details of the licence agreement but I think this impacts on your use of MySql (this has nothing to do with Xojo). Another aspect to consider, I’m sure this is applicable to MySQL, is that if it is deployed for free or open source then your application code (Xojo code) also needs to be open source or public (again, this has nothing to do with Xojo).

To alleviate this problem, or potential issue use another database server if you want to use it for FREE. Postgres and Firebird come to mind.

Thanks Steven.

[quote=13111:@Steven Taylor]It seems that you are cost conscious, aren’t we all, but you may also want to look at the licensing agreement for the use of MySQL. From one of your previous comments in many of your similar threads on this topic you’re wanting to write a database application for your wife’s medical practice. This has got COMMERCIAL written all over it. Granted I don’t have the full details of the licence agreement but I think this impacts on your use of MySql (this has nothing to do with Xojo). Another aspect to consider, I’m sure this is applicable to MySQL, is that if it is deployed for free or open source then your application code (Xojo code) also needs to be open source or public (again, this has nothing to do with Xojo).

To alleviate this problem, or potential issue use another database server if you want to use it for FREE. Postgres and Firebird come to mind.[/quote]

You could also use MariaDB ( https://mariadb.org/ ) as replacement for MySQL. MariaDB has more free options included than MySQL. MariaDB has been created by the father of MySQL. Lot of Linux distribution are now moving to MariaDB instead of using MySQL

I understand that I can not mix the MySQL Community, which is free, with Xojo that is commercial, for making a commercial application?

My wife is Maria.

Read the license rules. Lot of freeware are used together with commercial software. If you have not modified the code in your freeware application, but you are using it together with your commercial software. Most of the cases you just have to announce in a readme file, you are using the Freeware application and where to get it.

Complicated are the ways of God.

“However, if you develop and sell a commercial program but do not deliver it together with MySQL and leave the installation of the MySQL server and its licensing to the customer, then you must obtain licenses for the client libraries used in your program.”

Source: Using MySQL licensing: Open source license vs. commercial license

And then: If you use the database classes of Xojo to connect to MySQL, then you need a (Xojo) Database build license.

MBS has a Connection class which is not making use of Xojo database classes, so you could avoid to pay for Xojo database license - but then you need to pay for the MBS license. So you do not gain anything here.

MySQL is free if you use it on a web server and access it with PHP on the same web server. Then you are not required to open source your PHP code. I am not sure whether this applies to WE code as well. I guess it does.

An alternative for MySQL is PostgreSQL, which is available with most hosting providers as well. Many of the common Website administration tools (like Parallels plesk) provide a way to install and manage these two types of databases.

If you need a free database server without the need for a Xojo database license, then you might check out Rusland Zasukhin’s Valentina database.

Very good and detailed answer. Thanks a lot.

You need a commercial license if you want to embed MySQL within your non-Free program. Note that embed is not the same as “make a connection to.”

I want to “make a connection to”. I use laptops with Windows 7.