Concerned about Xojo releases

[quote=25165:@Emile Schwarz]Eric Brown:

You seems to be a newbie in the computer use.

One of the first things to learn (and you are in the path) is to make backups; you will avoid loosing what you do.

Next time, use a text editor (name depends on your running OS, I think at wordpad for example), type your text, save it and then, only then, deal with the Feedback software.[/quote]

If that is what an “experienced” user has to do then something is seriously wrong. And if feedback would be THAT unstable then it should be in the trash.

[quote=25165:@Emile Schwarz]Eric Brown:

You seems to be a newbie in the computer use.
[/quote]
What a rude answer…

If this were the late 1980s or early 1990s I’d say I agree with you, but in 2013 things like that should not happen in software, not even in something as experimental as Realbasic/Realstudio/Xojo :wink:

@Philipp: You didn’t say which platform you are on. I don’t find R3 much less crash prone than R2. Now R1: that was crashy.

If there are that many crashes: have you tried another computer?

Eric Brown,

You are not the only one get frustrated from time to time with Xojo. To be honest it happens to me too. This has nothing to do with being a newbie or a professional. Sometimes we simply don’t get it.

I struggled very much with the navigator which leaded to very much of my frustration. However I viewed the Bkeeney video tutorial and keep using it which put me on my way.

Whatever problem or situation occor… a true developer continues boldly where no one has gone before. He never gives up, search for workarounds, for people who can help him/her and most important of all, finish that application he/she is working on! That’s the true spirit!

Since the introduction of Xojo, I stopped using RealStudio from the first minute Xojo was installed and running. Never looked back, opened former projects, made changes and compiled again. I solve many problems for other people all over the world with Xojo.

Now 3 months after its release, I start to get the hang of it again. The Xojo blog is also a very good information source together with this forum.

I am sure there will still come many exiting things to explore for us. Overall, Xojo is a very powerfull environment with a lot of features.

Be creative to be innovative !

[quote=35609:@Beatrix Willius]@Philipp: You didn’t say which platform you are on. I don’t find R3 much less crash prone than R2. Now R1: that was crashy.

If there are that many crashes: have you tried another computer?[/quote]
nah, i meant just that…
r1 crashy, r2 not …
thats what makes it less painful for me, to have missed a next major update so close… :wink:

Thanks for the shoutout! As many of you know, I have been very critical of Xojo (still am). But the fact is, I am working with Xojo every day and making working products and making consulting clients happy with it. So despite the warts I am able to make my living.

Yes, it takes some patience. Yes, it can be very frustrating. Yes, I wish things worked better. But at the end of the day, I’m able to use it.

Your mileage may vary, as they say, but getting involved with the beta program and providing example projects in Feedback are way more important than anything else.

I’m w/ ya’, Bob. I think Xojo and its development team has made great strides since my previous post, and I finally made the plunge and updated my Professional license. I have no regrets, as I see the forward progression. There are a few service applications I’ve created and tested which have remained solid and running for over a month now without freezes, memory leaks, etc. I’ve finally gained the confidence in the product that I never had before, even with years of ‘tinkering’ with it.

We also make a living with it despite its warts. I enjoy doing things that make the warts less painful.

At first I can see the OP reasoning and as much as it is a legitimate argument, it’s impractical.

If we were to program software for every combination of use imaginable, we’d never release anything.

The software does as intended, it compiles code.