Compiling from Linux IDE for MAC OSX is not working!

It has been made blindingly clear by many other posters in many previous threads ad nauseam, that using the normal methods to get support and fixes are falling on def ears, so telling him to suck it up or move on is not helping anybody, in fact its setting us back, as his non-stop whining has actually been attracting official attention (which is very hard to capture)

Dont forget, he is a paying customer who is consistently not having his needs met and running into situations where technical or advertising claims not being met, or being removed and are causing serious issues for his business. Many here can relate. At this point I am glad he is being so absurdly persistent and noisy, perhaps with enough and frequent disruption there will be a change in the status quo that we will all benefit from.

If you find it distasteful, please ignore his postsā€¦ I for one want to here what he has to say.

3 Likes

Legally, thatā€™s true. I have several virtual machines running other Mac OS versions on my Mojave host.

However, your statement raised a question to me: if one installs Windows 10 under BootCamp, itā€™s still on an Apple hardware. Iā€™d be tempted to think it implies running Mac OS in a VM is legal under Windows, then (as long as the hardware is an Apple one).
But, strangely, Iā€™ve never seen this being done. Are there other prohibitions for doing that?

So youā€™re talking about running MacOS in a VM under Windows running on a Mac? I havenā€™t read every line of Appleā€™s license agreement but I would think that is at least in the spirit of the agreement given that surely what they care about is that itā€™s ultimately running on Mac hardware.

• (iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software.

If I am reading correctly the Host has to be also OS/X and only two instances in the virtualization.

1 Like

Yes, indeed. ā€œWindows running on a Macā€ can either be with BootCamp or in a VM; of course, the latter case would rather be unusable: under a native MacOS, install Windows in a VM and then install another MacOS VM in the Windowsā€™ VM, unless perhaps if you have the new Mac Pro with 1 TB of RAM, etcā€¦ But regardless of usability, both methods would mean running MacOS on a VM under Windows legally, as far as Iā€™ve read until Thorstenā€™s post after yoursā€¦

Looks like youā€™re right.
I never read anywhere, until now, why no one seemed to ever run MacOS inside BootCamp in a VM, not even someone asking whether it was doable on any forum. Itā€™s however well known no-one reads these cryptic license agreements.

I test for Windows but have no PC, by installing Win7/10 in VMs. Nothing stops you doing that.

Which you can buy on eBay for not that much. Which I have done a couple of times in the past when the new Mini from Apple was not that good.

Yes; in early 2015 picked up a new 2014 mini, not knowing it was actually slower than a used quad core 2012 version which cost less. And the 2012ā€™s are very upgradable with user replaceable memory and internal disks. (Granted, changing the internal disks is less fun on a mini than most machines, but I have done itā€¦)

So later I picked up a quad core 2012 when I wanted to ā€œupgradeā€ my 2014 model. Go figure. Bumped it to 16GB memory and replaced the internal 5400rpm hard drive with SSD. Still works like a champ. They are a great little machine to run headless, especially if you plug in a cheap little HDMI adapter to trick the GPU into being enabled and allowing higher resolutions on VNC or other network connections.

But if all you need is a little headless build machine, just pick up a used 2012 dual core. They are cheap.

That is pretty much what I did, too. :wink:

ebay.com

2011 i5 Mac Mini for under $200 (BYOSSD)

Parallels really speeds up packaging apps for multi platform.