Compiler issue

Hello all,
since I have installed the 2013R3 when I try to recompile some existing project the folder “ProjectName Libs” created with the executable file is filled by any kind of DLLs, including also what is not needed.

Other than al the DLLs I find a folder called “locales” that contains fifty binary files with the extension .pak. There are all the languages: ??en.pak, de.pak, it.pak, and so on…

I had already experienced this issue in the past, just after the installation of a new release, but is has been fixed by itself after a while.

This time he insists :frowning:
Do you have any idea about the cause, and over of all how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Marco

[quote=35914:@Marco Cremaschi]Hello all,
since I have installed the 2013R3 when I try to recompile some existing project the folder “ProjectName Libs” created with the executable file is filled by any kind of DLLs, including also what is not needed.

Other than al the DLLs I find a folder called “locales” that contains fifty binary files with the extension .pak. There are all the languages: ??en.pak, de.pak, it.pak, and so on…

I had already experienced this issue in the past, just after the installation of a new release, but is has been fixed by itself after a while.

This time he insists :frowning:
Do you have any idea about the cause, and over of all how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Marco[/quote]
I’m not sure what it is you want to fix ?
The DLL’s are required for the built application to function.
The oak files are localized strings required by WebKit HTML Viewer on Windows.

Marco, if the compiler made it’s work as expected, the “ProjectName Libs” should have what is necessary for your program to work. Don’t erase files there please. (Unless someone from Xojo instructs so).

All clear now.
I was becoming crazy!

For the first time I have used the WebKit renderer and I can’t believe to its “devastation” :slight_smile:

With the NATIVE renderer only 9 DLLs are requested by my application.
With the WEBKIT renderer: 20 DLLs and 53 .pak files (!)

Thank you very much!
Marco

On the other hand, the webkit renderer is traditionally more standards compliant than the native windows ones, so it really depends on what you’ll be displaying. Feedback uses the webkit version so we don’t need to do any special coding for IE.

what kind of special coding for IE?? Greg… what is the difference between using webkit and native renderer function wise?

The HTMLViewer gets its renderer from the OS and the version that is used is taken from the Registry on Windows. Most often what i see is that you end up with IE7 or IE8 as opposed to one of the newer standards-compliant versions like IE10 or 11. IMO, the differences between IE7/8 and modern browser layout and programming is so drastically different, it’s not worth our time to fix this just for feedback.

That said, we do have a lot of little patches in the Web Framework for IE 8 ( and even 9 ), and I can’t wait for their popularity to fall off because we spend an awful lot of time fixing bugs for a browser that is already 5 years old.

so it is right to say that using the webkit renderer is better ??

Lets just say “more consistent.”

Greg, so what do i need to be careful in the css and html coding that i do for html file that i generate if i set it to native which might using IE7 or IE8?

All I can say is “test thoroughly” :slight_smile:

thanks…

@Richard: We’ve run into the most problems with the native renderer on Windows when displaying local HTML files.
When displaying content from a Web server, most things work fairly well in the native renderer, but if we display local HTML content, we run into many IE-related restrictions. So, for local HTML content (which is important for many of our projects), we tend to go with the WebKit renderer.

At some point, you may need features that don’t work on Windows with local content in the current WebKit renderer or in the native renderer. At that point, you may need to look into including a portable open source browser with Windows versions of the application. Depending on your specific needs, things can get a bit complex, but that was the best/only solution we could find for some of our projects. For our rather specific needs, we’ve had good results with Portable FireFox: http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

my application only display locally generated html file, so using webkit is much better on Window.

using the portable firefox, would it be part of the windows of the application or does it open a new firefox browser window??

Unfortunately, when we use a portable browser, it opens in a separate window–not as part of our application. That’s not ideal, but it’s the only solution I’ve found that will work for some of our rather complex/specialized HTML/JavaScript content that must run locally. Depending on the portable browser, you may be able to modify the portable browser window–removing most controls that are not needed to display “captive” content.

Keep in mind that we do have some rather specialized needs.
It seems likely that most projects/content will work reasonably well with the HTML Viewer using either the native or WebKit renderer, particularly if loading content from a Web server.

In general:

1. I use the native renderer in HTML Viewer if it will correctly display the content that I need to display.
  2. If the native renderer won’t work, I switch to the WebKit renderer in HTML Viewer.
  3. If the WebKit renderer in HTML Viewer won’t do what is needed, the only solution I’ve found is to include a portable browser–typically Portable FireFox.

do the client need to install the exe file first?? and how do u launch the html with the portable firefox??

No installation is needed for Portable FireFox–you just need to have the files. It’s been a while since I worked on that code, but I believe I was able to pass the HTML filename as a parameter when launching the Portable FireFox .exe. (I only have to use this work-around on Windows–on Macs the native HTML Viewer does everything that I need.)