Compiled project size

I have what may be a silly question but it has me baffled. I have a project that with all of its files is 7MB. When I compile for OSX the file is 9MB when I compile for Windows it is 90MB. Can anyone explain why the file is so large? I am compiling with version 2013.r3.1 on a power mac. I understand that the mssql plugin is not compiled with the mac version but the plugin is only 600k that does not = 90MB. Just to be specific I am referring to the size of the executable only not the dll folder.

I would be VERY interested to know the answer…

I have an app… it is 7.4meg of code/images compiles to a 9.9meg OSX APP and an 8.4meg WIN EXE (

Do you have a lot of images embedded in your app? On Mac they’re pngs but on windows, they’re compiled into the app as bmp files. Also, if you are using the htmlviewer with the webkit engine, that will add 30MB to a windows app.

Ok I figured it out. I have a 3MB jpg that is a background for a report. When I remove the jpg the complied size of the program is 4,156KB. When I add the 3MB background of the report the program grows to 90MB. I guess Xojo wants my small graphic to be very high quality.
I will attempt to pre convert it to a bmp of low size and see if Xojo will leave it alone.

[quote=42251:@Jeremy Archibald]Ok I figured it out. I have a 3MB jpg that is a background for a report. When I remove the jpg the complied size of the program is 4,156KB. When I add the 3MB background of the report the program grows to 90MB. I guess Xojo wants my small graphic to be very high quality.
I will attempt to pre convert it to a bmp of low size and see if Xojo will leave it alone.[/quote]
Or don’t put it in the project and load it from disk at run time

Got it. The problem was that even know it was a small file and B/W it had a high pixel size. I converted it down and it now is 145kb jpg and my compiled program is now 6.5MB. Good to know how different graphics are between windows and OSX now. Thanks for your help.