Coding for an iOSTable from Desktop Edition

Hello.

This may be a weird request. Please bear with me.

I have a particular situation where I need to advance in creating an iOS application that will require a iOSTable with custom drawing (at least, I think it should be an iOSTable, I have little experience with using iOS as target and there may be a better option).

I won’t be able to test in the iOS simulator for a while, though, but I will be able to target MacOS (Mojave beta, in this case).

Do you have recommendations on what would be the closest I could do in Desktop that will allow me to leverage as much as possible when I migrate the project to iOS? I rule out listbox, of course but perhaps using ListboxTV would be closer to coding for iOSTable.

This comes out of my lack of experience coding for iOS in Xojo. It may be that there’s nothing I can do and I’ll just have to wait it out.

Alternatively, if there’s a better way to have a scrolling canvas in iOS than an iOSTable that I could also use in Desktop I could go that way. I just thought of iOSTable as the obvious choice for a vertical or horizontal scrollable stack of custom graphics.

I don’t think I’ll be able to compile for iOS for a month or so, I expect.

Plug-ins would be OK.

iOSTable can be used a ‘little’ like Listbox , in that if the number of rows is small and you dont want side swipes, then you do the equivalent of Addrow.
What you add has an image, a row of Big letters, and a row of small letters.

Anything of more complexity and you need to use a dataset to fill it.
iOS pages the data - if it can show 10 rows, then as you scroll the list , it re-uses the visible 10 to 12 rows to pull data from the dataset.
The dataset can be backed by a dictionary/array, or an actual recordset - what is important is that you can get at ‘record x’ on demand
Then , what is displayed in the cell is very like a container control.
You design a container with controls , labels etc, and you create one of those and populate it ‘on the fly’ when a row is requested of the dataset.

The quickest way to emulate this is to create a class that has a RowData method, a RowCount function, and maybe SectionCount and SectionTitle functions if you plan to have an iOSTable with sections.

The RowData method in your emulator might be passed the g from the CellTextPaint event of a normal listbox
Paint the cell in that event. For the real thing, populate a CustomCell in iOS

Does that help any?

Thank you, Jeff. This was enormously informative for me.