Cloud deployment

Hi all,

I downloaded XOJO IDE and also took a cloud account, but I haven’t bought the license yet , do we need to build it local system then only deploy on cloud is possible or do we have option to build and deploy both and deploy both on cloud without buying the license

Regards
Makesh

You will need a Web license to deploy to Xojo Cloud. That same license will allow you to build web apps for other servers as well.

As an idea:
Why don’t you permit to deploy to cloud without buying a license? This might boost Xojo Cloud and generate more revenue in the long term (monthly recurring).

[quote=88892:@Alex von Siebenthal]As an idea:
Why don’t you permit to deploy to cloud without buying a license? This might boost Xojo Cloud and generate more revenue in the long term (monthly recurring).[/quote]

My initial reaction to this was “But in order to deploy anywhere you need a build license, this is their licensing model - why would they forego the revenue!”

But thinking about it, it’s an interesting suggestion. You want to deploy on your own infrastructure, you need a build license. You want to deploy on Xojo Cloud, you don’t need a build license. Would be a big added benefit to using Xojo Cloud.

Don’t see it happening mind!

[quote=88900:@Patrick Delaney]My initial reaction to this was “But in order to deploy anywhere you need a build license, this is their licensing model - why would they forego the revenue!”

But thinking about it, it’s an interesting suggestion. You want to deploy on your own infrastructure, you need a build license. You want to deploy on Xojo Cloud, you don’t need a build license. Would be a big added benefit to using Xojo Cloud.

Don’t see it happening mind![/quote]

Exactly. Kind of like Creative Cloud (subscription model) but leaving the buying option available to those who want to deploy on own infrastructure.

The problem I can see is that to deploy to the cloud a build is required which leaves a built version on your computer (perhaps in the recycle bin). It’s just too easy to crack.

Sure - I wouldn’t presume to say there aren’t problems/issues or whether Xojo would entertain the idea. Just think it’s an interesting thought.

Well they could simply check if it the binary runs on their cloud and otherwise quit? They must already do when they included the #TargetXojoCloud

I think the real problem would be : on which domain(name) should it run or should every tester get his/her own fictional domain(name)?

I don’t quite understand? I was talking on allowing deployment on Cloud for free (or with higher Cloud prices). For the Cloud, nothing would need to change

Every user does need his own access to the cloud server, if i do a test i don’t think i want someone else has access to my application. Therefor every tester needs his own adress on the server and that needs a lot of extra work for Xojo to implement.

Well, you should still be able to debug locally of course :wink: anything else would be a mess. We’re only talking about deployment

Alex, i don’t understand what your way of deployment does comprehend. For me it’s uploading and running from the cloud domain and therefor i would need a (sub-)domain.

I believe Alex’ idea;

• Debugging - no change. You don’t need a build license to debug - just hit run - no matter how many developers.
  • Deploying to Xojo cloud. Doesn’t need a build license, just a Xojo cloud server to deploy to and that’s how Xojo get their money. Only the person with access to the Xojo Cloud server can deploy, IIRC team access to the VPS is coming at some point.
  • Deploying to any other platform. Needs a web license.

Suppose the biggest problem with the above model is that you only have the one server no matter how many developers and therefore a set cost. Currently if there is a team of 5 developers then each developer needs a licence once the app starts deploying to production.

Patrick, i get the idea, but my point is that Xojo has to to make deploying to the xojocloud possible and has some work to do if your apps, the ones from Alex and mine don’t get mixed up, so that each can work with their own.
I don’t think Xojo cloud is one big bucket where anyone can drop his applications and magically everything works just fine.

[quote=88937:@Andre Kuiper]Patrick, i get the idea, but my point is that Xojo has to to make deploying to the xojocloud possible and has some work to do if your apps, the ones from Alex and mine don’t get mixed up, so that each can work with their own.
I don’t think Xojo cloud is one big bucket where anyone can drop his applications and magically everything works just fine.[/quote]

But that is how it already works. Every Cloud server is on its own. No mix :slight_smile: and this would not change. You’d need to rent a Cloud server and deploy to it. As you would now.

Aha, that’s the point, so it’s not a free ride! (eh… free test) :wink: