Clear deploy web app in centos

we start with xojo arround 5 years ago, we love xojo but the new core web 2.0 change all in our work , i read a lot forum and guide information, i really respect and say tanks to Jeannot Muller your guides was incredible, we are try to moved to new xojo but many think we lose like keypress or keydown event etc, we try but is not clear, and also is not clear finally to deploy xojo web app 2.0 in centos, some body can help us to deploy the new core in centos? tks guys

Thank you for the nice feedback. @Tim_Parnell originally started his work for CentOS and this all resulted in Lifeboat (Strawberry Software - Lifeboat). That’s for me the easiest way for you, as it will be doing all the magic for you, hassle-free and secure. Disclaimer: I’m not using that solution, but all the positive feedback the product received can’t be wrong :wink:.

As for the missing events he has a plugin as well on his homepage, but it is up to you to judge where and when to use it, as it will add some extra load to your app, as Tim clearly indicates on his page as well. In other words: there is a reason/explanation why Xojo decided to reduce the number of events.

I concentrated my tutorials on Ubuntu, as it is widely used by many. Of course, every distribution has its differences, in terms of how to install software/components and especially in the paths used by the distribution. One way is to ask google for how a particular command or component looks like on CentOS.

One big difference between Ubuntu and CentOS is for instance the used package manager. What is called apt-get in my tutorials is yum on CentOS. But(!): Please don’t just replace apt-get with yum, you have to know what you are doing and you should double-check via a search engine, what you are planning to do.

I went for Ubuntu, as it has more support information available for beginners reading my articles. CentOS on the other side is out-of-the-box more solid, has less (and more solid) updates, is more stable and slimmer (you start with a very compact base distribution and only add what you really need). Hence, I do understand why Tim started with CentOS :wink: and me too, I’m using CentOS for some business critical apps.

But then again: servers on the internet have to be as much rock-solid as possible. So if someone is not (yet) skilled in security topics around Linux web servers, I strongly suggest: either invest in Lifeboat or Xojo Cloud. Yes, it will cost you money, but it will very likely save you money too. A compromised web server is no fun, and expensive too. For training and educating yourself, I would recommend setting up a virtual machine on your local computer (docker, parallels, VMWare, etc.) and first play around locally, this approach will reduce the risks coming with a “playground-server” publicly on the internet.

Is it worth planning on using CentOS as you server OS ? I think not because this OS is on the way out, it’s almost on its end. It will be replaced by something else, but a different product.

Many people feel bad about the end of CentOS. Claris, the maker of FileMaker, a little more than a year ago opted for CentOS as the OS on Linux for FileMaker server. With the CentOS announcement, they had to pick another OS, and it is Ubuntu. They are now working on porting Linux FMS Server on Ubuntu.

For CentOS 7 no it still has around 5 years of support left, CentOS 8 however was is dead basically.
The whole RH(IBM) debacle of CentOS can go on and on but basically CentOS 7 is still (right now) a solid choice

1 Like

tks a lot jeannot we will try you sugest and make somo test in VM before move, probably can change also to ubuntu for a moment for test app we will try also run on centos and we coment later the problem for us is some our customer have own centos server then we need to find solution for they, i like ubuntu also i see your tutorial very nice tks a lot for help

you are right brian many hosting providers still ofer centos for first choice

1 Like

i think same meaby the convert in other product i dont think centos disapear

True CentOS will still be on support for 5 years. What I meant, I should have been explicit, is that the product will not be further developed.

Now the question is - the answer may be different to different people - is there any value in optimizing an app on a platform that will end in 5 years ? We all know that Linux distributions are different and that means adapting to a specific distribution. In teh case of CentOS, that means going to this route again in 5 years.

CentOS will still be developed but not in the stable way we want in a server environment so as far as CentOS 8 is concerned, no go there.
All Stable candidates for a server environment have a life span so the continuation of eventually migrating will never end.
When the time comes that CentOS 7 does come to EOL then we will hopefully have maybe Rocky Linux or another alternative, or a migration path to RHEL since CentOS is/was 100% binary compatible.

When RedHat went to RHEL we had to migrate, then CentOS was already born and became stable, there will hopefully be a migration path within a few years but just not using CentOS 7 because of what IBM has decided currently is not a solution as CentOS is a perfectly stable and supported environment

Does anyone remember SUSE? They were quite popular in Germany / Europe, went through many mergers and buy-outs (almost dead …) and now recently went public: suse.com. But it seems they are currently mainly focusing on SAP and to be the trusted linux partner below any SAP environment. Many don’t want to admit it, but Linux is meanwhile nothing else than business too. Of course we can run it for free and w/o buying consultancy, but the dependency on any of their particular roadmaps is real and it is always a “bet”. 5 years is a long time for every product in IT and only the future will tell us if we made the right decision or not.

1 Like

i remember suse we try many years ago

1 Like

It was the first distro I tried in the late Nineties, never liked it, never made it to work as I wanted ( ok, I tried on a laptop with a parallel installation of Windows, so it was most likely my fault but I tried endless times). So I almost gave up with Linux until I installed Debian one day.

i see the web in the link that you put, and many famous brand use the new version but is not free is a pay version now

1 Like

They still have a community version: https://www.opensuse.org Didn’t try it recently though. But yes their main product line is commercial now and they went public a few weeks ago. I think their biggest customer is SAP, at least as far I know from former colleagues the SAP cloud stack is mainly running on SuSE and that’s likely something with will sell in Germany and Europe in the context of GDRP. German/European software AND(!) running on German/European PaaS-Stack. Remains for GDRP the IaaS stack. Europe isn’t very good any longer in producing hardware. So there might still be NSA holes on hardware level ;-). Okay, off topic not, but as you were the PO, I think it is ok :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.