Changing Xojo interface language?

Hi,

I am new here and just downloaded the Xojo IDE. I am wondering if there is a way to switch the interface language of Xojo? If not, is there a way to override it?

Thanks.

Platform ?
And which language are you looking for the IDE to be presented in ?

Hi Norman,

I have a non english windows system installed. However I am wondering if it is possible to change the interface language of Xojo to english since when I run Xojo, the interface is displayed in my system language instead of english.

ah so having it localized is not useful for you ?

You can remove the international resources (the .MO files) in the Resources Directory next to the IDE
I’d expect this to be in Program Files > Xojo > Xojo 2013r4.1 > Resources
Quit the IDE and remove just the 3 asian .MO files ( ja.mo, zh_CN.mo, zh_TW.mo )
Start the IDE and it should be only in English

Hi Norman,

Thanks for the reply.

Not that it is not useful. I just get used to the english interface and terms compares to the localized version. It’s just me anyway… :slight_smile:
Others may find the localized version very helpful instead. :slight_smile:

@Norman Palardy - it’s not that having something localized is not useful, but rather the way that the localization is tied to the OS language that is not useful. For this exact reason I’ve had to write my own localization from scratch in all my apps that I internationalize.

So, to be precise: The localization mechanism in Xojo is not useful when tied to the host OS language. Altering this mechanism to be overridden programmatically (so I can display my app in French on a German OS, for instance) would be HUGELY useful.

Actually what we found was that most people were not running in localized versions always - at least for European languages
That was less true of the Asian languages - hence why we ship in English & a handful of Asian languages

[quote=69621:@Kimball Larsen]
So, to be precise: The localization mechanism in Xojo is not useful when tied to the host OS language. Altering this mechanism to be overridden programmatically (so I can display my app in French on a German OS, for instance) would be HUGELY useful.[/quote]
We do what the OS vendors recommend in terms of what language to operate in
And trying to override it WILL mean that certain things (esp on OS X where it does localize certain portions of the menu bar automatically for you) can get into a mess as the items you put there are in one language & the automatic items are in another.

And you can override how YOUR apps behave in this regard quite readily - but I’d suggest NOT doing it (I’ll outline why in the blog post) I’d swear I wrote a blog post about this once upon a time - or that Joe had - but I can’t find it …. hmmmm new topic !