Changing Deprecated Items in 2019r2

I know of several that have just turned off auto-renew since the R2 betas started
Whether they do renew when their license expires remains to be seen

IF they manage to bring Web 2.0 and/or Android Support (even in an Alpha) before Black Friday, i’d call them “safe”. :wink:

not as far as I’m concerned… since neither of those have the slighest interest for me …

It just seems that they are losing focus and trying to do things “like the cool kids” but will just end up embarassing themselves…

…and API 2.0 was a lot of work. :frowning:

I’d personally say there is NO chance of that happening
Black Friday is a matter of weeks away
They’d need to have started those betas already

There is nothing in the help page Folderitem.Constructor(path_as_String,_pathMode_as_PathModes)
I suppose code above is for GetFolderItem()

MyItem = FolderItem.Constructor(MyStringURLPath, FolderItem.PathModes.URL)

but how do I do GetTrueFolderItem ?

Another thing which should be simple. How do I do :

MyString = ChrB(MyNumber)

I never used MemoryBlock.
I will have trouble to use MidB and AscB too.
It would be great to have exemple for replace those functions.

[quote=457720:@Thomas ROBISSON]There is nothing in the help page Folderitem.Constructor(path_as_String,_pathMode_as_PathModes)
I suppose code above is for GetFolderItem()

MyItem = FolderItem.Constructor(MyStringURLPath, FolderItem.PathModes.URL)

but how do I do GetTrueFolderItem ?[/quote]
try this page
https://documentation.xojo.com/api/files/folderitem.html.Constructor(path_as_String,_pathMode_as_FolderItem.PathModes,followAlias_as_Boolean%3D_true)

edit : weird
I went to that page IN the wiki itself but the link from here takes you nowhere
how odd

[quote=457723:@Thomas ROBISSON]Another thing which should be simple. How do I do :

MyString = ChrB(MyNumber)

I never used MemoryBlock.
I will have trouble to use MidB and AscB too.
It would be great to have exemple for replace those functions.[/quote]

No idea how memoryblock is a replacement for chrb but …

I suppose if they did

dim s as string = Encodings.NilEncoding.Chr( integer )

maybe file a feature request ?
<https://xojo.com/issue/57845>

[quote=457723:@Thomas ROBISSON]
It would be great to have exemple for replace those functions.[/quote]
I think the intent is to move your data into a memoryblock and access things that way and to discourage the use of strings as “buckets of bytes”
but those method a re just deprecated - not removed

Thank you Norman. I will have to understand why I did use ChrB in the Method made by a friend many years ago.

Folderitem.Constructor help page need some review from Xojo team. There are 2 pages for one, and incomplet.
And we have to be carreful, because GetTrueFolderItem has to be replace by FolderItem.Constructor(MyStringURLPath, FolderItem.PathModes.URL, False).
As we have hundred lines to correct, we sometimes do it without thinking too much.

[quote=457459:@Dave S]

• SelectColor is no Color.SelectedFromDialog[/quote]
    Quoted from the 4th posting written above. :wink:

[quote=457731:@Thomas ROBISSON]
As we have hundred lines to correct, we sometimes do it without thinking too much.[/quote]
I would not be in a panic to update all your code IMMEDIATELY
API 1.0 code still works as is

If it at least would be presented in some more useful way…
<https://xojo.com/issue/56856> IDE: Make Output of ‘Analyze Project’ useful to get an overview and allow to drill down
or even:
<https://xojo.com/issue/57885> A per project setting: API 2 | 2+1 | 1

Ok, so I’m one of those people who has previously been using a String for binary data instead of a MemoryBlock (sorry!) but that’s mainly been down to me using the built-in string functions to split and manipulate the data easily with minimal code.

I get that we should be using a memoryblock and i see that some functions like LeftB and RightB have been moved across but there’s also several I’ve been using which don’t appear to have a replacement (InStrB, CountFieldsB, NthFieldB, SplitB). Are these omissions that will be corrected in a future release or have they been left out intentionally for some reason?

Seems like an oversight. Can you do a Feedback report?

I’ve submitted a feature request for just this (Case 60175).

Jack

Well they use it, since Xojo is written in . . . Xojo.