Catalina

Another Catalina hiccup - on my Safari, clicking Original Post, Latest or anywhere else on the Forum timeline has no effect whatsoever.

Safari bug?

Anyone else seeing this?

This happened with the latest Safari update a few weeks ago… which would have been part of Catalina if you didn’t just upgrade Safari… There is another topic here about that as well

[quote=456861:@Dave S]Ok… any idea how LONG an install of this POS should take?
I took a 250g external HD, formatted it clean… and TWO HOURS later, the progress bar moved 1/4" and stopped. Luckily because it was an external drive, I just aborted it, and rebooted back to Mojave.

I think Mojave took like 45min or less

But Catalina is looking worse and worse by the minute.[/quote]
No idea
I reinstalled Catalina 4 or 5 times during the beta as the external drives would get corrupted and you can apparently fix that running 10.14 :frowning:
Lets just say I have NOT been impressed so far

[quote=456864:@Richard Nicolella]Can someone on the release build of Catalina (19A583) please try SelectColor() with Xojo2019r.1.1 and let me know if it still crashes on the second call?

Hoping it does not, but if so I’m bracing for support calls and embarrassingly will not be able to release a compatible build.

I hate this.[/quote]
MBS plugins apparently have a select color like dialog that doesnt crash
you can write declares for it but its tricky

[quote=456870:@Richard Nicolella]Another Catalina hiccup - on my Safari, clicking Original Post, Latest or anywhere else on the Forum timeline has no effect whatsoever.

Safari bug?

Anyone else seeing this?[/quote]
safari
its been like that since the safari 12 betas :frowning:

NSColorPanelMBS class.

Well 8 hours later… and it still isn’t installed… SOOOOOooooo… doubt it ever will be now

Dave: you will find in the App Store a free application named Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.app that let you know how fast (or slow) a hard disk can be.

A 250GB hard disk is an HDD (as you noted, so not a SSD), some years old (too many ?); I suppose it is an USB drive. Some of these can be 10 MB/s (Read and Write) that is very slow.
I just tested a 320GB I have handly, and it is 38MB/s in both Read and Write.

OK, 8 hours is a bit too much time, but you see what I mean.

Another weird news, booting Catalina or High Sierra (the previous one) on a relatively slow hard disk is a real bad idea because how slow the OS runs (two minutes to boot is a long time when you boot on an SSD for some times). And using these OS on that condition, believe me, is really boring.

Can’t you buy a 256 GB SSD (external) for Catalina ?
(around $50 ?)

Downladed … installed … (25 minutes) … everything is fine

Oh come on, Apple is doomed, everything is awful, this is the worst thing ever, the last good OS that Apple made was currentVersion - 2 etc etc etc.

@Gavin Smith: Catalina mostly works fine now. I still loathe that Catalina asks for permissions constantly. I have quite a few test apps that only live in the debugger. And what do those dialogs protect? Nothing.

Yes it does.

Tested it with various Apps like Pixelmator Pro and alike. No issue. Happens only with Xojo Apps? Why blame the OS?

As I’ve said, we’ve fixed this in the next version of Xojo.

FWIW, the changes that Apple made were:
0. Remove the ability to show the color picker modally, so that when you call SelectColor, your code waits until the user chooses a color and clicks OK.
0. The API we’d used gave us the ability to add the Cancel and OK buttons easily and that’s also gone now.

[quote=456864:@Richard Nicolella]Can someone on the release build of Catalina (19A583) please try SelectColor() with Xojo2019r.1.1 and let me know if it still crashes on the second call?
[/quote]

Just to clarify, does this happen only with apps that were built with Xojo2019r.1.1 while the developer was running Catalina, or does any Xojo app built prior to Catalina that uses SelectColor() have this problem if the user has now installed Catalina? That is, if I stick to Mojave will my Catalina users have this issue?

To balance out the negativity surrounding the latest version, what features or improvements make this a worthy upgrade?

The issue is that the Xojo framework in 2019r1.1 and earlier was using an outdated OS function. To fix this is to build with R2 or newer; or switch all your SelectColor code to plugins or declares.

I think Catalina may force the release of Xojo 2019r2 ASAP followed by a 2019r2.1 with enhancements and extra findings.

I just built a test app in 2019r1.1 in Mojave and tested it in Catalina and it did indeed crash as expected.

Thanks, Julian. Guess that means I’ll have to pony up for another Xojo upgrade. I was hoping to stretch out 2019r1.1 a bit longer Sigh…