Case 58471 - True vs "True" in Xojo Project Files and SVN/Git Systems

Feedback Case Number: 58471
<https://xojo.com/issue/58471>

Short description:
Xojo IDE cause unwanted file changes to properties in text (xojo_project) files.
Changes are also made to (binary) xojo_code files that may be encrypted and do not have visible code changes.

This issue is becoming so much of a pain to us, so we reach out to you.

• Do you have this issue too?
  • Causing minutes or even hours of time and money wasting in GIT/SVN commits and manually selecting the changes you actually made before you commit?

Can Xojo give some more insight if this ever will be fixed? By now we have so much cluttering of changed files by the IDE that are not made by us, we’re getting frustrated by these unwanted changes to files.

Giving this point’s doesn’t seem to help getting this fixed any time soon, since this is a major cost (time = money) we’d like to have this fixed.

The bug is in xml format, too. No, it’s not causing my time because I commit as is.

That makes it even worse, more project types affected.

It is understandable if you don’t need to review a timeline of 10000’s of hours of code changes containing changes that are NOT wanted. Do you work in a team?

We use the xojo_project type for everything.

Xojo Engineers have spent a ton of time on this one.

If I remember correctly the properties are stored as variant. If you change something, it may be set to boolean by one code path and other may set it to “true” string.

Norman may remember better.

Well if so, then on some parts they probably use Variant.StringValue and other parts they use Variant.BooleanValue.ToString or whatever. This just causes us to have more and more and more work over time just to show the actual changes only in git, all commits have to be filtered which takes time. And every time it has to be done over and over again.

You bug can probably be combined with mine: <https://xojo.com/issue/57120>

Yes, this is a very annoying issue for me!

This sounds similar to something @Thom_McGrath discussed trying to address here Unchanged files having changes continues to boil my backside ...
You may want to take a look and see if the script he proposed will help you.

1 Like

This sounds similar to something @Thom_McGrath discussed trying to address here Unchanged files having changes continues to boil my backside …
You may want to take a look and see if the script he proposed will help you.

I will try but still want xojo to fix it :grinning:
That didn’t fix it…

I have a script that works for Xojo2020r1 which is modified from one I submitted back in 2013. I’ve attached it to feedback case 58471: <https://xojo.com/issue/58471>

Note something changed in 2020r1 where the script must now save the project after every properly toggle in order for the changes to take. This slows the script down a lot, but hey its satisfying to watch your version control app (e.g. SourceCode) refresh every few seconds as the garbage clears out of your mod list – Or just take a break while it works.

Be sure to use it once to commit a baseline, then before every commit if/when garbage starts to collect.