Carbon debug compiles painfully slow, just like Windows! Why?

Oh my, why did you slow down Carbon debug compiles?

In 2012r2.1 the first carbon debug compile (on a large app) is painfully slow, but fortunately, recompiles after making changes were much faster. However, I noticed in xojo that this is no longer true for carbon, although it is true for Cocoa. Why would you deprecate this feature to carbon??? This was the primary reason that I did my development on the Mac instead of Windows which has painfully slow debug compiles. Now I have to put up with this in carbon which I must use because of some thread UI issues.

[quote=10506:@John Fatte]Oh my, why did you slow down Carbon debug compiles?

In 2012r2.1 the first carbon debug compile (on a large app) is painfully slow, but fortunately, recompiles after making changes were much faster. However, I noticed in xojo that this is no longer true for carbon, although it is true for Cocoa. Why would you deprecate this feature to carbon??? This was the primary reason that I did my development on the Mac instead of Windows which has painfully slow debug compiles. Now I have to put up with this in carbon which I must use because of some thread UI issues.[/quote]

I assure you this is not slow on purpose. You should file a Feedback ticket and attach a project that shows this slowdown.

I have noted that the very FIRST compile of an application is slow. After that it seems to be significantly better. That’s been my observation, at least.

Bob

This is true with Cocoa, but does not appear to be the case with Carbon in xojo. Carbon appears to take the same amount of time to compile each and every time.

We tested this on a very large application that we have been developing over the last year and a half, so we are very aware of the compile times. We work in OSX because on Windows (in RealStudio), it take as long to compile the 10th time as it did the first time. However, in OSX this is not the case. We’re talking a minute or more for each and every compile.

Joe - I’ve made a note of the debug compile time differences between Windows and OSX on the forum before, but no one seemed to care. Since I develop in OSX, I was able to take advantage of the faster re-compile times that it exhibits. That’s in Realstudio, of course. However, that speed advantage is missing in xojo when compiling with carbon, which I must use because of some thread issues.

I’m afraid I can’t post my project because there is way too much proprietary work in this application. It’s been under development for a year and a half.

Joe - in your post above where you quote John, I see “Now I have to put up with this in carbon w[…] must use because” The “w[…]” is a hyperlink which has the URL:

https://forum.xojo.com/1494-carbon-debug-compiles-painfully-slow-just-like-windows-why/0#

When I click it, the […] dissappears and the quoted text increases in length, slightly.

Is this some sort of “hide quoted text that’s too long” feature that’s malfunctioning?

Edit: i posted a separate comment about this here: https://forum.xojo.com/1530-strange-ellipsis-in-quoted-forum-reply/

I’m afraid I haven’t had time to look into tools like Xperf, so I can’t comment on this bit.

You might try taking a sample in Activity Monitor when compiling for Carbon. I’m not very optimistic that it’ll find anything actionable, but it’s worth a try. Also, is there any specific item that takes longer to compiler? or everything?