Canvas eBook

Will there be an update on the eBook. “Program the Canvas Control with Xojo Desktop July 2014 Edition (1.0) Written By Eugene Dakin”?
Hopefully with a few more examples for us less experience programmers.
I am starting to go through that eBook and will be using 2015r4.1.
Are there any changes since then that need to considered to make life easier for me to follow it?
Any points from anyone is greatly appreciated.

I have not read Eugenes e-Book, but assuming he was complete (as I’m sure he was), I do not believe the CANVAS control has changed in quite sometime (at least not from the developers point of view), So I would venture to say, anything/everything in the current e-Book applies without change to 2015r4.1 as well.

[quote=254487:@Chris Salonikas]Will there be an update on the eBook. “Program the Canvas Control with Xojo Desktop July 2014 Edition (1.0) Written By Eugene Dakin”?
Hopefully with a few more examples for us less experience programmers.[/quote]

What do you want to achieve ?

Thanks Dave.

Michel, I downloaded the eBook a while ago and did not get the chance to go through it till now. At present just wanted to get a better understanding of the control. As Xojo had several version updates since then, just wanted to be aware of any issues. Browsing through the eBook, it has all that I need as with the other of your eBooks which I got and just looking for the time to got thought them. Thanks.

[quote=254673:@Chris Salonikas]Thanks Dave.

Michel, I downloaded the eBook a while ago and did not get the chance to go through it till now. At present just wanted to get a better understanding of the control. As Xojo had several version updates since then, just wanted to be aware of any issues. Browsing through the eBook, it has all that I need as with the other of your eBooks which I got and just looking for the time to got thought them. Thanks.[/quote]

I believe you will find Eugene’s book quite sufficient to get a thorough understanding of Canvas. And you know you can always ask here if you need extra assistance.

If there is something specific that should be included, then I would be more than willing to build an update. The eBook seems to be fairly complete, but there are always new and interesting parts which could be added.

I did find out that there is a precise Windows API for Games called QueryPerformanceCounter that may give a performance increase with the Canvas framerate… that’s just talking out loud though… :slight_smile:

I am currently writing a book on Raspberry Pi with a heavy focus on electronics, and if there is enough interest then I can build a Canvas update.

Many thanks @Alain Bailleul for his help and talents with the Canvas!!!

Yes, there are Xojo examples, and I am currently finishing up an example on Pulse Width Modulation (don’t say that quickly three times, as its a Tongue-twister. :slight_smile:

I have not played enough with it yet, but you may need an addendum when 2016R1 is out. The addition of HiDPI (Retina) support means existing canvas code will address points, not pixels. On a 2x Retina screen, each point will represent 4 pixels. Being able to address pixels would mean a much crisper picture. It could be very significant for text, some graphics, and maybe even photos.

I hadn’t thought about HiDPI and its influence on the Canvas. Once the other book is finished (a few months?), then I’ll review the points vs pixels effect in the Canvas book.

Thanks Michel!!

RGBSurface is your friend

Eugene, I am interested in the Raspberry Pi eBook and will buy it as I want have some fun with electronics in my retirement (semi), giving Biochemistry a break.
I was hoping someone write an eBook “Xojo for Arduino”. I have been trying to get the book " Arduino + Visual Basic 6.0: Make your own software to control Arduino by Ujash .G. Patel" but it is out of print but gets reprinted in June.
This will be good education for interfacing Xojo and learning electronics. I would buy the eBook if one is written.

Hi Chris,

I will look into this more when I am finished the Raspberry Pi book. Thanks for asking!

Wow… is it ever fantastic!