Can't set BackColor for a BevelButton?

Language Reference … what’s that :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=369041:@]I think I posted about this some random time ago in a random thread.

Cross platform is getting so ubiquitous now that the reliance on native controls is getting less and less.

Be bold, be unique, be a canvas! :D[/quote]

The Mac remains a unique UI experience with very characteristic looking controls.

Windows UWP apps having moved to something more web looking, and Win32 controls being so outdated, I agree that a canvas is required more often than none to obtain the proper look.

Here is the language reference: http://www.wesco-eshop.nl/35934020-leesplankje-engels-dieren.html

:smiley:

However, since you can completely theme the design of displayed controls under JavaFX, you can be as creative (or not) as you like with your UI design using readily available CSS models. With the current control set under Xojo, the only way to come close to that is with a Canvas-based, custom class/control.

Which is really not a bad thing, it encourages native interfaces.

There is another way, which Tim and I are very familiar with : use an HTMLViewer to support your UI. Then you got all the bells and whistles of CSS and JavaScript to obtain whatever you want. Which BTW is not that distant from UWP XML UI.

Then interface with Xojo through TitleChange.

Incidentally, I have done the same in an iOS app to escape the dreadful limitations of the Xojo iOS implementation.

That said, I repeat what I said above. The Mac interface is specific enough for users to recognize and appreciate it. Any custom controls that do not have the typical Mac look and feel will not be considered good by most users.

About Java, besides it’s terrible habit of monopolizing resources, it is not a bad language, but frankly I prefer Xojo.

Becareful building your app around the HTMLViewer… Apple may consider it a “template” app, and reject it per their new rules… perhaps not, but something to consider before exerting too much effort in that direction

There is a big difference between a web viewer app, and a native app that uses an HTML interface.

What Apple does not want is apps that are in fact just wrapping a web app or web site.

At any rate, I have all but given up on Xojo iOS for now. Heck, even HTMLViewer is so indigent it required declares to simply do executeJavaScript and get back the value. Fisher Price development tool for kids, not for grown ups.

+1

If you’re using macOS, you can just apply an NSAppearanceTheme to the window and most of the controls will auto adapt, except the listbox. The listbox ruins the party, namely the scrollbars. See here for an example http://ohanaware.com/retinakit/

Otherwise write your own, take 1 canvas, some sticky backed plastic, an empty washing up bottle, old newspaper and PVA glue.

Even coming CLOSE to replicating it in the IDE was a monumental task.

The good news is that I have no use for the MAS since the tools I write can’t be trimmed down to an iOS model and will never be accepted anyway.

I’m more interested in a modern, cross platform look and feel like we see in apps like Premier Pro or Davinci Resolve. The creative pro that these specific versions of our solution are aimed at like those layouts and looks.