Can't read property WebTextField.Text in IE11

For some strange reason I can’t read the text property of a WebTextField with IE11. Firefox, Safari, and Chrome work fine.
In this example I try to read the Text in the TextField and simply display it in a MsgBox with

MsgBox TextField1.Text

You can try it here:
http://198.61.230.14/textfieldtest-Dev/

Do you encounter the same problem or is it just me??

Tried it with IE11 ( and with Chrome. Both give the text in the msgbox. On Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Thanks for checking! What could possibly go wrong when passing a TextField.Text to a MsgBox? It’s just one single line of code…
The error occurs on Windows 7 with IE11. I must be doing something terribly wrong :wink:

I repeated the test on a windows 7 64 bit computer, with IE11, Chrome (both 64 bit) and Opera 26.0.1656.24 32 bit . All work normally and show the text field text in the message box.

Anything wrong is likely wrong on the computer rather than in the application.

@Benjamin Wullschleger - how are you getting the text into the text Field? Typing, pasting, etc?

Tried to clear your browser cache?

Works fine here to Win7 IE11

I used to do a lot of Flash stuff and IE is terrible for testing things the cache can be a nightmare

Thanks for your help! I entered the text by typing and also tried clearing the cache but it didn’t help. I was able to read the text property when I set it programmatically before. Since I’m working on a Mac, the computer where IE11 is installed isn’t mine, so I have no Idea what could be wrong with it. I’ll have another look at it this afternoon.

But good to know that it isn’t a general problem.

When I select IE8 or IE9 as browser mode in the developer tools everything works as expected. IE10 and edge produce the problem.

Using Xojo 2015 R2.4, Windows 10 and Edge I get exactly the same problem. The first line of code I use in a method is:

if tfdService.Text = “” then return

When I type a text into the field and click on the button that runs the method it always returns. Strange.
Sometimes, but not everytime, after the method returned and I click back into the field without typing anything and click then on the button, the method is completely executed.

I try to check that the textfield isn’t empty before storing the value in a database. I use exactly the same code on different windows with different listboxes and it works fine, aside this one window. The only difference I see is that depending on the user permissions I enable and disable the field on this window. So I think disabeling and enabeling back produces the error. I also work generally on a Mac, and I will try it with Firefox on my work PC tomorrow.

Things like these should not happen…

[quote=217234:@Alex Arendt]Using Xojo 2015 R2.4, Windows 10 and Edge I get exactly the same problem. The first line of code I use in a method is:

if tfdService.Text = “” then return

When I type a text into the field and click on the button that runs the method it always returns. Strange.
Sometimes, but not everytime, after the method returned and I click back into the field without typing anything and click then on the button, the method is completely executed.

I try to check that the textfield isn’t empty before storing the value in a database. I use exactly the same code on different windows with different listboxes and it works fine, aside this one window. The only difference I see is that depending on the user permissions I enable and disable the field on this window. So I think disabeling and enabeling back produces the error. I also work generally on a Mac, and I will try it with Firefox on my work PC tomorrow.

Things like these should not happen…[/quote]

I tried to create a project with a timer disabling and enabling the textfield, then echo the content of that TextField to System.Debuglog every time a button is clicked. No problem.

You should try to build a test project that demonstrates the issue in a reproducible manner and file a bug report.