Can't open project

My main development machine had a corrupt user and I had to do a complete reinstall. Now I wanted to open a Xojo binary project with external items. Xojo wants to contact a remote machine (“There was a problem connecting to the server Trixis Mac Pro”). But this is the same machine!!! The project without icons load fine so I think that the icons are the problem.

How do I fix this?

Choose File ? Collect Project Items to collect the current project. ?

@Loannis: I don’t come that far. There is only “There was a problem connecting to the server Trixis Mac Pro” again and again.

Is that server any of your previous configuration ?

Can you reconnect it just for the time it takes to change the pictures ?

Otherwise, save as XML and you will be able to modify the path of pictures ; a simple search on their name will show them.

That mean you open the project right?
If you open the project without the icons try to relocate the icons…
Or save the project as text/xml and fix the links of icons…

@Michel is faster than me :smiley:

@Michel: The server is my previous configuration - the hard disk that I reformatted. It’s gone now. But the paths/username/everything else is the same.

I can’t save as XML because the project doesn’t open.

I don’t know if that will be work but give a try…
Make a new Project and Choose File ?Import ?

OK. I just opened a binary project in a text editor, and it appears the path is in clear. So you can edit it as well. Make a copy before you modify it, but you should be just fine.

The path is store as absolute path.

I suppose that behavior happens only with this project ?

Can you borrow a bit of time of another OS X machine (at work), download the current 2015 or 2016) last Xojo version, and try to open it ?
If this works, export the project (save with a different name and try to open it when back to your own OS X machine.

@Emil: I’ve already tried another computer. Same problem.

@Michel: this here looks like the problematic part:

BlokpPicm^yNameStrnemail_envelope ContInt
?paswStrnpathStrnWbeatrixwillius:Documents: Datei:Development:Mail Archiver:Icons:drag:email_envelope.png alisStrnҗsMacciJtH+/?email_envelope.pngE՘ePNGfMKBY??? dragJdՈ? /?wTk?6-"?’?kMacci:Users:beatrixwillius:Documents: Datei:Development:Mail Archiver:Icons:drag:email_envelope.png&email_envelope.pngMacci]Users/beatrixwillius/Documents/ Datei/Development/Mail Archiver/Icons/drag/email_envelope.png/??svinStrn(җsbeatrixwilliusBD???email_envelope.png???cudraga/:Volumes:beatrixwillius:Documents: Datei:Development:Mail Archiver:Icons:drag:email_envelope.png&email_envelope.pngbeatrixwilliusI/Documents/ Datei/Development/Mail Archiver/Icons/drag/email_envelope.png/Volumes/beatrixwillius SScifssmb://beatrixwillius@Trixis%20Mac%20Pro._smb._tcp.local/beatrixwillius??textStrnemail_envelope tranInt

The absolute paths aren’t the problem. Users/beatrixwillius/Documents/ Datei/Development/Mail Archiver/ is still the main folder of the project.

What is the SMB reference doing there? “Trixis Mac Pro” is the name of the computer, which I’ve check in the Sharing preferences.

In this case smb stands for Samba and isn’t related to MBS software :wink:

@Paul: I know what Samba is. The questions are: What is this doing there? And what is the correct entry?

The OS X uses SMB (server Connection) only over the TCP/IP protocol, not the NetBEUI protocol…

[quote=255886:@Beatrix Willius]@Michel: The server is my previous configuration - the hard disk that I reformatted. It’s gone now. But the paths/username/everything else is the same.

I can’t save as XML because the project doesn’t open.[/quote]
Names being the same doesn’t fool OS X aliases
They know that it’s NOT the same volume etc
And its what makes it possible for you to move a file around on disk and not break your project

Pro’s & cons for everything

[quote=255892:@Michel Bujardet]OK. I just opened a binary project in a text editor, and it appears the path is in clear. So you can edit it as well. Make a copy before you modify it, but you should be just fine.

The path is store as absolute path.[/quote]
No
Its not
Its more than likely the “saveinfo” blob and doing this is more than likely going to break the project in really fun ways

Suggestion!!
Do have any local OSX machine in your network
If yes then.
Preferences >Sharing,Change the computer Name to old (Trixis Mac Pro)
Then >Finder >Go >Connect to server
smb://ServerName/ShareName or smb://The IP
ant try to open the Project after…

Open project
Ignore all “cant find server” messages (and yes this will take a while)
Save as plain text (which doesn’t use save info)
Reopen project and relocate all items that are missing

Renaming a machine is unlikely to fix it even if you put it at the same IP
Aliases are sometimes too darned smart for their own good

For future reference I’d caution you about using external items in binary projects / xml projects that reside on servers
They DO use save info which embeds an alias an that is the preferred means to locate the file because it wont break if you move files around on your local machine. However if you add items from remote machines that go away (which is what it believes has happened here) then you have this issue.

Like I said - pros & cons to using them

But there’s also an Alias. And that’s what’s causing the issue, I suspect. So, editing the path is not the solution but removing the Alias records.

It should be possible to use the “Convert to XML” command in Arbed, while unchecking the “… External…” checkboxes. That way, Arbed should not even attempt to resolve the bad Aliases. Then you can edit the XML project file and remove the bad aliases.

@Norman: this takes about 30 seconds for one single file. I’ve about 600 or so.

The files didn’t “reside on a server”. There is just my MacPro and the Laptop. And I didn’t use the 2 machines for developing, just the MacPro.