Can't build for App Store after 2017r3 and Xcode 9

I can build for development but not for distribution. The error message is in a Xojo dialog (and it’s not one that I’ve seen before) but it seems to be reporting a result from Xcode. The key bit seems to be this part:

So I went through the usual troubleshooting: I deleted my development and provisioning profiles from Keychain and from the Apple Developer Certificates, IDs & Profiles site, recreated everything, exported/imported into Keychain, refreshed everything in Xcode but still the error message remains.

Next I created a small app in Xcode itself, archived it and validated it for the App Store which added my distribution profile and signed the app without any issues.

So I’m stuck. Has anyone else had this with Xcode 9 / 2017r3?

Update:

So this is curious. If I create a blank Xojo iOS project and build it, I can build for the App Store without any errors. I’ve tried using all the same build settings as the project that won’t build for the App Store but I can’t “break” a new, empty project.

A further update. It seems to be related to the Bundle Identifier (AppID in Apple Developer). I have always used com.mycompany.myapp rather than a wildcard identifier as I need to use a Push Notifications entitlement.

So, if I create a new iOS project and, in the new project dialog, set the bundle identifier to be the one that I use in my problem project, then building for the App Store will fail. And if I change it to something else, eg com.mycompany.test then the build continues to fail.

However, if when creating a new iOS project, if I set the bundle identifier to com.mycompany.test in the new project dialog, then it will build for the App Store. But changing it to my usual one results in a build fail.

So now I’d really love to know whether anybody is successfully building using 2017r3 + Xcode 9 + a specific (non-wildcard) AppID?

I’m seeing something similar. We are looking into it.

There is an issue here with signing changes that Apple has yet again made.

Switching to Xcode 8 is a workaround for now.

1. Download and install Xcode 8.3 if you do not have it. You can have both Xcode 9 and Xcode 8 installed at the same time.
  2. Start Xcode 8, go to Preferences, Locations and choose for Command Line Tools: Xcode 8.3.3.
  3. Restart Xojo and you should be able to build for the App Store.

<https://xojo.com/issue/50759>

I was seeing something similar but thought it was failing because I had an enterprise provisioning profile. Glad to know it wasn’t that.

FWIW, I was able to manually sign the app and distribute it using instructions found elsewhere in the forum.

Thank you for responding to the issue so promptly @Paul Lefebvre . So, just to confirm, Xojo 2017r3 can still build with Xcode 8 and doesn’t require Xcode 9? If so I’ll likely just roll back to Xcode 8.

I guess this here is connected to it.
I somehow get the idea that Apple is losing its former quality with increasing speed …

@Ulrich Bogun that link seems to be about Application Loader — the tool used for uploading apps to the App Store — but the issue is with building the app for the App Store and signing it so you get a .IPA file. However I didn’t read the whole thread so maybe that’s in there too. :slight_smile:

[quote=363798:@Ulrich Bogun]I guess this here is connected to it.
I somehow get the idea that Apple is losing its former quality with increasing speed …[/quote]
No, this isn’t relevant, this was a temporary backend issue which has already been resolved.

Correct. 2017r3 can still build with Xcode 8.