Can you make 'Pretty' websites with Xojo?

Eons ago, back in 1996, people largely confused web sites and web pages. Sure, there was at the time and still today sites composed of only one long page.

I had a friend who loved coding in HTML in a text editor, who did not quite understand the need for any sort of graphic editor. When he approached me for a venture to form a company that would design sites, I tried to explain to him that Perl and PHP were necessary for sites. Since he did not seem to understand, the thing fell through.

What I read a lot in this forum is sheer lack of knowledge. To people who have never even had a personal web page, the distinction between site and web app is not quite clear. If it was, I would not read so often that people want Google to scan their buttons and webpopumnenus :wink: Heck, haven’t you read so often people puzzled by permissions and not even understanding the need for a domain, or the use of something as basic as index.html ?

To people who have acquired knowledge of Xojo Desktop, and maybe because things like Xojo Cloud make it appear as a snap-in-finger issue, understanding what is at stake in a web site is difficult. What ? I suffered through learning Xojo, and now I must learn HTML ? CSS ? What’s that ? Permissions ? htaccess ? argh…

Jon is right about the hammer. So right. Is it not the same thing for people who want to remodel their house themselves ? Most people have an idea about how to use a hammer, they quickly become lost when it comes time to stick paper onto the walls.

Threads such as this one will continue to start, as people who want to build their online presence need education. Is it not what the field of conscience of this forum is for ? Helping newcomers to a very, very large field, is a noble endeavour.

My reading of his post was Xojo = Nothing for Web:

I took this to mean that Xojo is not appropriate at all for doing anything web related. Perhaps I read to broadly into his statement. If so, I stand corrected.

Hello Michael, Tim and Jon,

Thank you for your replies which are all very interesting.

I am willing to learn and change my opinion when I am proving wrong.

When I have more free time, I will try out the WEB edition on a form on a website I have to make for a group of friends. I am very much interested to see how the WEB edition handles responsive web design. The website is hosted on CoffeeCup S-drive shared hosting.

Thank you all for correcting me and you are all very helpfull people which I appreciate very much. I regret very much that I gave another impression in my former post, it was not my intention. I wish I had more time to participate in this community.

Wish you all a very nice day and all the best.

Chris

You still need a HTML landing point such as Index.htm Or Index.html. I think that most ISPs don’t allow CGI files as an entry point. Thats why you usually see a traditional HTML page as an entry point to an app with the traditional “click here to enter” as the jumping off point to the app.

You can use a redirect page, or an iframe page, or even set up a 302 permanent redirect on your host, and do not need the “click here to enter”.

The only version that “did not work in frames” was 2014r2. Technically it does work, as long as the domain is identical for the outer page and the content in the frame. It’s more of a security concern which we are reintroducing soon, with an option to turn it off if you don’t care about other sites wrapping your app.

That may have been true 10 years ago, but I haven’t seen that behavior in a really long time.

wow, this thread really got some love. Thanks to all since I started it.

I have a good solution now. There is a great online tool for building very cool “websites” with all the latest effects called . WEBFLOW And i’ll embed xojo webapp functionality via iframe for shopping cart and product search, blog, etc.

again thanks for everyones input and education
regards James