Can you help me get an application approved

Every project is a learning experience :slight_smile: But no, there is a much bigger picture here, although I’ll be honest and I’m not going to reveal it.

I did learn that App Store reviewers can be incredibly unhelpful :slight_smile: And how to deal with people like that.

I don’t believe in renting software, when there’s a major new version, then upgrades will be charged :slight_smile:

I whole hearted agree with you about the race to the bottom and I can assure you it’s not my intention. Over the last 18 months, I’ve been researching newer business models and we have devised a plan. Releasing the application for free (with a limited feature set, nudge, nudge) is the first step.

I have zero experience with sandboxing, I haven’t even gotten to the point where I might sandbox test, but I have a question so I don’t get too attached to my current method.

If you ask a user where they’d like to export a child folder full of stuff with SelectFolderDialog do you get write access to that folder?

Yup.

So should you. It is all too easy for a developer or publisher to lower prices instead of creating a new version to keep value.

There is also a normal phenomenon occurring in the App Store : when an app appears, it normally gets quickly to its maximum. Then sales start to decrease. That is when some sellers with not enough nerve start freaking and lower prices without realizing that what is important is not the number of unit sold, but the profit. As sales decrease, lowering the price only damage profit even more. It is typical of a vicious circle. Eventually, the app ends up free in discouragement.

I have released early 2014 a check writing application and the only competition was selling for $2.99. I priced my app at $5.99. When sales boomed, I went all the way up to $14.99 without observing a slowdown. A few months later sales have lowered, but I keep the same price as long as they remain pretty steady.

I should admit that the way statistics are set in iTunes Connect are kind of devious : they put an emphasis on the number of units sold, including graphs, so one gets the impression that when bars or curves get lower, it is urgent to do something. That is why I calculate actual sales amounts to keep things in perspective.

I read somewhere that the average price of an iOS app is $1.92. Sure, the market is vastly larger than the Mac one. But I sincerely hope the MAS never gets that low.

Yes you do, providing you specify the correct entitlement (which is easy with a wrapping tool).

I hope not too…

The biggest issue with the App Store, is the Samsung companies, that come along, do a cheap clone of your application and either give it away (with ads) or make sure they keep their prices so low that it really affects your sales.

Just saw another review of a Samsung product, which is underwhelming (it’s a camera with poor to okay image quality) but it’s so cheap that people keep buying their crap instead of better quality products.

Which is why my wife and I have been studying working business practices and we think we’ve got a solid plan… I’m sorry but I’m not willing to reveal the end game at this point.

You haven’t read the Google I/O thread on the forum have you ? :stuck_out_tongue:

I read some of it…

Even existing projects can serve as learning experience, especially if you replace deprecated things.

Actually I replace folderitem.absolutepath by folderitem.nativepath, which is a very interesting experience.
And, from my point of view, appreciated as well.