Can we turn off or disable these stupid badges?

This isn’t social media. I don’t care what “badge” a forum whants to give me. I don’t care for or crave that social recognition and dopamine hunting “I got a badge” crap that goes with the whole “social” experience.

I do however want to be notified if someone responds to my posts, to me or a post I am interested. However seeing badges for “first post”, “editor” et al is just pathetic (in my opinion) and it’s sad this forums subjects me to it.

Is there any way to turn this off?

A way the user can turn it off?

I do like this form of forum better than what you had but I personally don’t like it mostly because of this “badge” crap.

3 Likes

After you’ve been using this platform for a few weeks, the badge volume will go way down. The badge system is useful because it teaches people about Discourse. I am strongly against turning it off for all users.

4 Likes

Tell us how you really feel! :slight_smile:

The badges will start to calm down very quickly. As @Mark_Mitchell1 says, the system is trying to encourage people to try certain functionalities out. If you don’t like it, just ignore it, you’ll hardly notice them soon.

4 Likes

If you “Don’t care”, just ignore them :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That’s like saying “ignore the smoker over there” (if you’re not a smoker, or if you’re trying to quit, etc), or “ignore that loud music.”

The point is, they’re in your face. They bug you to click your gravitar as if there’s something important to tell you (and there isn’t), and even when they do disappear, you have to wade through the list of unread messages to work out what’s real and what’s not.

Perhaps it’s easy for some people to ignore things that are in their face, but for others it’s an unwanted and quite annoying distraction

2 Likes

Quote from the Discourse devs regarding turning off badge notification per user:

1 Like

Seriously - just ignore them. They disappear after a short while. Cut them some slack - from my experience the transfer has been well handled with a few areas that need resolution. If you really want to see how bad this can go take a look at the FileMaker forums - absolute disaster that 2 years later they are still working to resolve missing links etc. They actually moved to a forum platform that offered LESS than what their previous platform offered.

2 Likes

I have no problem ignoring them, but I find it insulting that the forum software creators feel the need to treat the users like preschoolers, with the constant need for some kind of affirmation. Will I get another badge if I can make it through the day without peeing my pants?

1 Like

Treat it like its a video game - see how many you can accumulate :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It is just a silly feature. If you feel like a preschoolers or if you are too upset about some childhood problem, this is not the place to discuse about.

You’re absolutely right. I should be complaining instead about the functional shortcomings that the developers could have been fixing if they hadn’t been preoccupied inventing new badges.

1 Like

Wrong forum.

1 Like

As there’s little more to say in this regard, and we’ve received complaints about the content of posts in this thread, I’m going to go ahead and lock it. Enough information has been provided in regards to what you do or don’t like for the Xojo team to decide on whether to keep or disable this functionality.

Thanks, all!

2 Likes