Can the debugger be stopped?

Hello,

Once “Run” has been clicked Can the debugger be stopped?

If so how?

Thanks.

Lennox

Press the Stop button at the top of the debugger.

Thanks Greg, but I am not seeing it, also once “Run” is clicked Xojo 2015R3 becomes unresponsive to my clicks… the rainbow beachball does its thing.

Lennox

Sometimes it is not possible to stop the debugger. This has been known for years. The best example is a listbox with thousands of rows. Kill the app being tested via the Activity Monitor on OS X or via the Task Manager on Windows.

Thanks Eli,

But will killing the app will save changes too?

Lennox

You do not “kill” Xojo, but the tested app. So your unsaved code changes will not be lost.

Thanks Eli,

I am missing something, …

Run has been clicked and Xojo is running, (The cancel button is not revealed as yet.), how do I stop that?

Thanks.

Lennox

The Stop button is on the toolbar of the debugger tab. For more info see Using the Debugger.

OK Thanks,
Still not resolved, maybe I am not explaining it in the correct terms.

These are the icons I have at the top of the window
Run, Build, Space (no icon), Feedback Upgrade - I am not sure if a Stop icon should be in the space

Click Run
there is a Pause
then a window appears
Compliling…
Assembling code…

Compiling

Thanks,
Lennox

When you look at the running processes, you see 2 processes related to Xojo.
One is Xojo itself and the other is the program you are trying to run.
You only have to kill the process related to your program, NOT the one related to Xojo.
After you killed the process, the debugger will stop.
Now you are still able to save your project.

Sounds like when you run the app if all you see is the spinning pinwheel that the app either isn’t starting up or is taking a very long time to respond

Sometimes the easiest way to explain is a screen recording of whats going on

OK in the Activity Monitor it states that XOJO is not responding, it is only when may app is in the debug state does it show up in activity monitor.

My question is, shortly maybe immediately, after Run is clicked can I stop that Run process.
Sometimes you know that you should have corrected/ajusted something and you forgot and hit the Run button and you want to stop the Run at that time when you remember.

Lennox

Hi Norman,

it is not the app, it is the project - I hit the Run Icon at the top of the Xojo window.

My question is, shortly maybe immediately, after Run is clicked can I stop that Run process.
Sometimes you know that you should have corrected/ajusted something and you forgot and hit the Run button and you want to stop the Run at that time when you remember.

Lennox

The IDE will wait to show the STOP button until

1. the app being debugged connects back to the IDE
  2. the IDE times out waiting for the app being debugged to connect

OK Thanks.
Lennox

I’d suggest adding a break point right near the beginning of App.Open, then you can step through and see what’s causing it to become unresponsive.

If I understand well (in fact that’s something I wondered many times) what Lennox asks is if it is possible to stop debugger at the beginning, when “compiling” and “assembling”.
If it is a large program this two actions can take some time, and often you know that you made something wrong, so you would like to interrupt these actions.
I think it is not possible to do it, but can you confirm it?

You can stop compiling by clicking the cancel button on the building dialog/sheet.

Greg,
Probably I didn’t explain myself correctly.
What I mean is this:

1: I press the green triangle “Run” to start debugging.
2. Xojo starts to compile and assemble my application as seen in the picture bellow

This is the question: Can I abort this compilation/assembling?

Press cmd-.