Buyer Beware - There is no auto-renew discount this year

Until they have your payment details auto renewal can’t work, so it doesn’t matter it’s state.

So remove the “enabled” button and put up a more clear note. Because it’s misleading and needs to be controlled by Xojo anyway.

I’m not trying to be hard, but I almost set it and went on about my business thinking I was set for auto-renewal this August and been in the same boat as Jon. It looks like the kind of UI blunder that experienced programmers here are always telling the newbies not to do.

Auto-renew can only function if Xojo has your payment details on file. They did not save them before, so nobody prior to Dec 9 could possibly auto renew. As I understood it, it will be turned on automatically when you purchase or renew and it’s up to you to opt out. The box has to be there for that reason. Now, it also serves to allow you to opt back in if you change your mind before your next renewal date.

I won’t argue with that.

I did that. But when August rolls, from what I can tell from the conversation it will not auto-renew. Or Does Alyssa or someone contact me to get my payment information when I set it to enabled? I’m not upset, but I have seen a lot of criss-cross conversations about renewals / auto renewals / discounts / price increases etc… that just makes my head spin. I think they can do better here and not frustrate a lot of users. Glad I started looking at this 6 months in advance, I think it is going to take that long to straighten out!

You will NOT auto-renew in August. You will NOT get a discount. That is my point.

You will get a normal renewal notice. Then you have to do a full purchase.

Next year, in August 2016, you get your $25 auto-renewal bonus.

So why doesn’t Xojo give an option for you to enter your purchase information PRIOR to your renewal date.

But seriously, why not just wait for a sale and buy a new license. There’s no incentive to renew any more. Now you just have more licenses for more machines and you saved more by purchasing during a sale.

Watch Xojo not have sales any more on their licenses as a result of this! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=171946:@Jon Ogden]So why doesn’t Xojo give an option for you to enter your purchase information PRIOR to your renewal date.
[/quote]
They could have. They chose not to.

[quote]But seriously, why not just wait for a sale and buy a new license. There’s no incentive to renew any more.
[/quote]
There never has been, in my opinion. I renew only when it serves my purpose.

You could argue that a bigger purpose is being a good subscriber and having money flowing in that Xojo can count on. But all that goes out the Window when you have an active license for a number of years, then get treated like you’re one of the herd at renewal time.

As @Jon Ogden says above the token gesture doesn’t really make much of a difference. As a commercial entity I have a choice - run my business on luck (no maintenance) or with support. I make it very plain to my clients that when their hardware warranty expires they’re taking the risk. I treat my relationship with Xojo the same way. I do not and can not expect Xojo to fix any issue with an outdated product therefore I can not run my business without maintenance.

I’m sorry if this relegates those of you that are prepared to take the risk as hobbyists, but in my part of the world that is what you are.

Having said that Xojo please look at my previous post - I would really like to save that $50 US.

Oh & by the way, can you all please start drinking more milk - my exchange rate seems to be based on the price of milk powder :frowning:

I don’t think anyone is arguing against that. What I’m saying it is confusing, and the information in my account is technically incorrect:

“With this option enabled, your Xojo license will renew automatically every 12 months.”

Apparently not if you don’t have the payment information in place before your renewal date and they don’t give a place to enter it for August 2015 renewal, from what I am hearing here and what I can see in my account. Perhaps I should wait until someone from Xojo chimes in, this can’t be right.

<https://xojo.com/issue/38426> Disable auto-renew checkbox if there is no credit card on file.

<https://xojo.com/issue/38427> We need a way to add and edit credit card information for auto-renew

That’s great, but when you are selling licenses and trying to abide by agreements and laws, your position can’t be, “Yes, but…we’ve got a Feedback filed…”

Funny I’ve just promoted this to my top case & it’s now got 60 points (all mine) anyone else find this relevant?

And now it’s implemented.

Auto-renew is the plague of the modern society.

note: like many others, I will not renew this year if I will ever renew.

Just renewed my Pro license for two years. I got a nice 10% discount, Xojo has a license locked in that it can count on, and I don’t have a headache trying to figure out auto-renewals. Everyone is happy. Long-term I believe in this product and team!

That auto renewal thing just came about after lots of complaints about the new prices. It is indeed unfortunate that details can’t be entered by the user to benefit from that feature.

But it is the privilege of consumers not not necessary renew blindly. The auto-renewal thing is spreading fast in the industry, in a Reader’s Digest model that may not suit everybody.

I think there is a world of difference between professionals and others, too. Pros write the expense off, and often, the price of the Xojo license is but a drop in the bucket. For individuals who pay off their own pocket, it is an entirely different proposition. There are years where major upgrades plainly justify buying, others not.

Yes, it is.

And, worst: if the computer’s user is not able to run 10.7, he will stay with the last (latest ?) Xojo version that support 10.6 (or lower).

Also, if the added feature is in the bottom of the user’s list… Think someone who does not need Web, iOS, … why will it upgrade ?

More case certainly exists.