But how does Mac work?

version of xojo 2019 R 3.1

That may be the problem. I don’t exactly remember how people manually removed what newer OS considered a detritus, but updating your Xojo fixes the detritus issue.

Maybe you just need to run

xattr -cr ./path/to/your/application.app

To remove the sensed “detritus”.

1 Like

I think of the absurd stupid idiot things to do as intelligence test. We all fail occasionally.

Reading the fun that some users here had with getting a certificate for Windows always makes me a bit happier.

You really need to get a computer with a newer version of macOS.

1 Like

99% of windows apps in the wild are NOT signed, in windows you just compile and use. It is YOUR desicion to allow an unsigned app in YOUR machine, not a corporation that tells whay you can do with their machine. Signing in windows is mainly done by just downloading the providers tool and run it, 30 seconds task. It is kind of a chore only if you want the (xojo) app to be in the store and/or when you want inexpensive certs.

It’s a shame how rude some employees are to paying customers. And also a shame how apple treats its cusstomers like kids who need to be told what they can run on their machines.

As a general rule, you have to stay updated, try to have all your macs on the same OS version, Big Sur or Monterey is a good start. If you are going to sell or distribute the apps, you have to check the tutorials:

https://documentation.xojo.com/topics/application_deployment/desktop/desktop_app_deployment.html

https://documentation.xojo.com/topics/application_deployment/apple_requirements/signing_your_mac_application.html

3 Likes

The Mac we have in the company is certainly not mine. I think it cannot be updated any further, due to HW constraints.

using the command line (codesign) and the “cleaning” tools (xattr -cr) I was able to get a signed app but … that doesn’t work!

(cssmerr_tp_not_trusted error)

This is not only difficult. is turning out to be abstruse and crazy!

As they already told you, on windows you don’t need that most likely.

Those are mostly SW constraints in the OS installer. If you want to update, there are tutorials on internet about how to do it.

Ideas:

1. You can rent a virtual mac OS computer from various cloud vendors: How to rent a virtual M1 Mac mini for 12 cents an hour | Computerworld
  2. you need to code-sign and Notarize your macOS apps - there are quite a few resources for doing this (Appwrapper, or DIY such as GitHub - jo-tools/xojo2dmg: Xojo2DMG: CodeSign, DMG creation and Notarization (Post Build Script) )
1 Like

App Wrapper only supports the minimum version of the macOS that can be used for distributing apps under all of Apple’s “current” security mechanisms (there are 3 different systems that must be appeased).

So if you intend to release this app outside of your company, you are going to have to use a version of the macOS (10.13.6 or newer) that supports these mechanisms and App Wrapper.

By the way this security exists for two reasons.

1. It gives Apple a kill switch over your application, they can and do kill apps (9 times out of 10 they kill perfectly fine apps by “accident”).
  2. It is yet another revenue stream to help bolster their ever increasing profits, which helps to keep the share price artificially inflated, which in turn rewards the CEO with massive multi-million dollar bonuses every year. You either contribute to his bonuses, or skip Apple platforms altogether.
1 Like

hehe it was for me, Apple could close :smiley:
i have to familiarize with apple versions. I understand that the number is always and in any case progressive, but that a certain range then corresponds to a name, such as Sierra, etc.
thanks

1 Like

Yeah it can all get a bit confusing, t’was much easier when they only release a “New” OS version every two years, t’was more stable and complete in those days too!

10.12 = Sierra.
10.13 = High Sierra.
10.14 = Mojave.
10.15 = Catalina, often called Crapolina because of the breaking changes.
10.16 / 11 = Big Sur, variants are Big Suck, Bug Sur, basically iOS on Mac.
10.17 / 12 = Monterey, the memory executioner for the number of memory leaks in it.
13 = Ventura, Now for the Touchless iPad.

2 Likes

wikipedia is your friend here. I go there in case of doubt… and in the  menu (About this Mac…)

In this moment my situation is blocked on the error: CSSMERR_TP_NOT_TRUSTED

I’m reading this link:

so far with no useful results

Did you try downloading the renewed WWDC Certificate? The old one expired a while ago….
Here are some more possible solutions: ios - CSSMERR_TP_NOT_TRUSTED error - Stack Overflow

I think I did. I follow guides by clicking on things that I just can’t understand (what these “certificates” are, what they are for, etc., it is absolutely obscure for me).
At this moment I am stopped and perhaps forced to leave.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the free SD Notary yet. I find it easier to manage than AppWrapper. It doesn’t do as much for you, but it’s easy to comprehend. If you only occasionally need to sign an app, it does a good job, and the parts that AW do automatically for you, you can do manually as well (e.g. with a plist editor to edit the Info.plist file)

1 Like

Only today I was able to test my app on my client’s pc, whose features I list:

Intel Core m3 dual-core processor
8GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3 memory
macOS Ventura 13.0

I develop with Xojo 2019 R 3.1 on a mac OS Sierra.

This time I SIGNED my App, but even now it is not recognized.

At this point my attention shifts to OS compatibility or Xojo update.

Is it possible that Xojo 2019 R3.1 fails to produce a valid executable for VenturaOs? Or the problem is that the compilation is done on a mac Sierra?

opening the bundle on the Sierra, I find the application file which is reported as an “application”. On the Ventura, however, the same file is reported as a “document”.

How did you transfer the app from your Mac to your client’s Mac?

Yes, as Sam stated above, you need at least High Sierra 10.13.6 to sign for modern versions of macOS.

from my Mac to my windows, passing the myApp.app bundle via a Nas. then from my windows pc to the client, via Anydesk