Building for Snow Leopard

I read on the BKeeney Briefs blog:

I need to support SL until the end of 2014.

Which is the best option:

• Use Xojo 2013 Release 3
    or
  • “continue building in Carbon”? If the later then how do I build for carbon using the latest version of Xojo?
  1. In the Navigator Select the OSX build setting.
  2. In the Inspector you’ll find a framework popup menu in which you can select Cocoa or Carbon.

Thanks for the quick reply!

So the recommendation would be to do the above and use the latest version of Xojo?

This really depends on your app, how far along you are in the development process, if you need some bug fixes in the latest version of Xojo, if you want to check the complete app again for new bugs in Xojo…

[quote=75982:@John Jones]I read on the BKeeney Briefs blog:

[/quote]
This is incorrect - I’ve sent bob a note that this should be corrected.
2013r3 and earlier can build for 10.6
2013r4 and newer require 10.7 regardless of whether you are building for Carbon or Cocoa

[quote=76049:@Norman Palardy]This is incorrect - I’ve sent bob a note that this should be corrected.
2013r3 and earlier can build for 10.6
2013r4 and newer require 10.7 regardless of whether you are building for Carbon or Cocoa[/quote]

I assume if I buy a license I can quite happily download and stay on Xojo 2013r3 and build Carbon apps?
Also I assume these apps will work perfectly on versions of OSX from Snow Leopard to Mavericks?

A good question for customer service - I really don’t know

[quote=77813:@John Jones]
Also I assume these apps will work perfectly on versions of OSX from Snow Leopard to Mavericks?[/quote]

Assuming Apple hasn’t deprecated or removed Carbon functionality yet I would think they will work OK
Carbon IS deprecated and Apple doesn’t invest much, if any, time in making sure Carbon apps still work

Final question! When I no longer need to support Snow Leopard can I just update to the latest Xojo, change from Carbon to Cocoa, rebuild and it’ll all work? I’m not using any special components, just a basic UI and core Xojo classes, so I’m hoping the answer is Yes :slight_smile:

Yes, generally. When switching between any platform there may be some tweaks that your app will need for the new platform. But that depends on the app, of course.

@Paul: very funny, that is a good one.

@John: You need new declares. You may need to change your drawing. There is the lovely ThreadUIException. It’s rather likely that you need more than “some tweaks”.

If you do not use declares nor threads, changes are minimal, mainly limited to screen design. I have moved half a dozen apps created back with Real Basic 4.5 over Cocoa without important changes to the code.

John stated [quote]I’m not using any special components, just a basic UI and core Xojo classes[/quote] so he should be OK.

[quote=78361:@Beatrix Willius]@Paul: very funny, that is a good one.

@John: You need new declares. You may need to change your drawing. There is the lovely ThreadUIException. It’s rather likely that you need more than “some tweaks”.[/quote]
I can’t speak to your app designs, but John said he just has a basic UI with core Xojo classes which is the ideal case for easily moving from Carbon to Cocoa.