Building Comanche 3D in less than 100 lines of code (UPDATE)

@Will Shank Yes, very nice! Will have a look at this…

Everything shown in this thread proves that Xojo is capable of producing some serious graphics applications IMO!

Thanks. I just updated the project, if what you have doesn’t go fullscreen then redownload. It’s very messy and only to demonstrate that your/Alwyns polygon idea is fast. I’m curious how to make voxels faster, I mean the javascript version on Sebastian Mackes page runs quick.

@Will Shank The version above your post works with memory blocks and is already much smoother, still doing it in about 100 lines of xojo code :slight_smile:

Looking great! Wow! I am at my customer right now and take a peek tonight!

Oh I have to report that on Mac I can’t see a dramatic speed optimization with Memory Blocks… I thought myself it should but in fact it isn’t, I believe that the speed comes from LLVM compiled XojoScript calculations…

I am in the process to check this out…

EDIT: I have to correct myself. It runs very fast when compiled. I’ve tested it within IDE first… puuh… I am kinda relieved… let the coding begin :wink:

Weird. On my Windows PC it is so fast I can hardly fly it around and it’s very smooth, even in the IDE (my last version does not even use Xojoscript or the new LLVM compiler, so it’s pure because of the memory blocks)

Me too. Thought this was going to turn into one of those PC versus Mac posts :slight_smile:

I have an idea :slight_smile:

If members of this community are going to work on this hobby project as a bit of fun - why don’t we simply sell it on the MAS and donate the money to charity!

That way - it will gain good exposure for Xojo, AND benefit a yet to be determined charity.

Just an idea?

Interesting discover! Same code behaves much better in a platform (Windows) than a Mac, with exact code.

Maybe is something to report as a bug or is it known to behave as expected?

Just rumbling…

LLVM version run much faster either in DEBUG and BUILD runs on my OSX machines. I have no Windows machine (just Win VMWare VMs that I think are not good for debugging this kind of Apps) to test how it differs.

Maybe could be RGBSurface.Pixel function?

Some Xojo Engineer to know why same code varies so much in terms of speed? (Thx!)

[quote=119914:@Richard Summers]I have an idea :slight_smile:

If members of this community are going to work on this hobby project as a bit of fun - why don’t we simply sell it on the MAS and donate the money to charity!

That way - it will gain good exposure for Xojo, AND benefit a yet to be determined charity.

Just an idea?[/quote]

Maybe copyright issues with Novalogic, maker of the game…? If there are no, it could be a great way to get new developers to Xojo with experience selling their Apps, that I find extremely interesting and beneficial for our community. More people, more resources…

Also can be useful as a template for other to help sell their quality applications to App Store using Xojo (if open sourced as I guess), something most will find very valuable and can good be a good chunk of sales to Xojo as well.

@Amando Blasco have you tried the Memoryblock version? http://gorgeousapps.com/ABComancheMB.zip Compiled, it runs smooth on Windows and Tomas has reported also on OSX. In Debug mode it varies.

[quote=119914:@Richard Summers]If members of this community are going to work on this hobby project as a bit of fun - why don’t we simply sell it on the MAS and donate the money to charity!

That way - it will gain good exposure for Xojo, AND benefit a yet to be determined charity.[/quote]
Love the idea! About the copyright, I think ‘Comanche; maximum overkill’ as a concept is still protected. http://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?gid=MTQwOQ== But there is no reason we can’t think of a game ourselfs (spaceship over alien planet surfaces?) The voxel space alogorithm is discribed everywhere on the net and other commercial engines have been created based on such algorithms.

I have tested all versions since this post and the best runs on my Mac Air 13 is the LLVM one. The memoryblock version doesn’t run as fluid as the LLVM in my computer (8GB RAM).

Going to install Xojo on another laptop with a GPU to see if I notice any difference between both.

Will keep reporting :wink:

I am creating a new thread - gimme 5 minutes and then take a look and let me know what you think.

Then we may have a problem. If we want to use this to promote Xojo to be fully cross platform (exact same code), we can’t have a osx version using one system and a windows version another system.

And that will also be good to recover the game forum section that was lost when Xojo came… :wink:

A voxel Engine would be amazing (or toolkit) for others to create their own games. Really love when this projects begins… and people working together on a community project. :slight_smile:

Really good to be true… :slight_smile:

https://forum.xojo.com/14733-open-source-project-for-charity

Sorry for the slight hijack - back to your original conversation now :slight_smile:

@Richard Summers Well, you certainly took your time to make the post… Waiting lterally minutes for the new thread :slight_smile:

Sorry :frowning: