Build Settings, OS X, Creator Code

What exactly is to be put in the “Creator Code” filed of the OS X Build Settings? I’ve done several searches and can’t find a reference to it.

Also, I’ve used the new Xojo enough now to really like it better than the old RealStudio - except the NAME, XOJO. Sounds more like a video game than a serious development tool for software development…

Creator Code is a uniqe ID that you get from Apple, if you are a Mac developer. The cost is 99$ per year.

The creator code is pretty much obsolete.

Xojo, the name.

This is a better name than, say, Bozo !

But whatever name they choose, what did you answer when someone ask: what development platform do you use ?

Creator Codes aren’t related to Apple’s Developer schemes.

The creator code (CFBundleSignature) is a relic from Mac days gone by - it basically served the job that file extensions now do, linking documents to applications. Just enter ??? and everything will be fine.

It’s obsolete, deprecated and, since Snow Leopard summarily started ignoring them in favor of UTIs and extensions and MIME types for the same thing, discouraged. Since they live in the resource fork they are, for all intents and purposes, dead.

Apple didn’t assign creator codes, they kept a database of them so you didn’t use one already in use, but you can in reality use any code you wish without any effect other than confusing users. Neither Apple nor the System ever double-checked validity of creator codes, to my knowledge. It’s wholly unrelated to the developer program.

Not really. The extensions are really covered by the File Type whereas the creator code grouped the file types the application could handle. The combination of both gave a lot of flexibility that’s now been lost. John Siracusa explains much better than I could. The point being that where you once could have the same file type handled by default by different applications simultaneously, you now have a single extension handler and you have to manually find a way to open with another program.

I requested approval of a creator code from apple in July 2011. Received approval back in Oct 2011:

This email serves as your registration confirmation. If you require any
changes to this information, please contact Apple Developer Support at
cfreg@apple.com with any requested changes.

They called it “Application Signatures”

[quote=29233:@James A Smith]I requested approval of a creator code from apple in July 2011. Received approval back in Oct 2011:

This email serves as your registration confirmation. If you require any
changes to this information, please contact Apple Developer Support at
cfreg@apple.com with any requested changes.

They called it “Application Signatures”[/quote]

This may not have been clear at the moment, but what you requested was to be included in the database. It’s not “approval”, as you can use any codes you wish and neither the OS nor Apple will say a peep.

The database is there for the developers’ benefit. So you can choose one that’s not used by anyone else. You don’t get approved to use the code, you’re just included in the database or not. It’s not the same thing.

If I was pretty sure code EDUO wasn’t used for creator codes I could use it in my apps, it wouldn’t need to be authorized or registered (but it would be bad form to do so).

Further: The discussion is pretty moot unless your targets for development are pre-Leopard or earlier, since Snow Leopard dropped support for creator codes (type codes still can be used by the system if a file has no extension) and creator codes only exist now as optional legacy fields.

So, again: You don’t have to get creator or type codes approved by Apple. You can choose (and it’s not a bad idea) to have them registered at Apple’s database. The purpose of doing so is finding if they’ve been used and, if not, to reserve them. The point is to avoid collissions, not control or approvals.

You can still register them these days, of course, and Apple will probably maintain the database for a while as well.