Bug in properties from CoreAudioMBS?

Hi,

I’m using this code to get the name of various audio devices:

//id is the device ID
Var c As new CoreAudioMBS
Var m As MemoryBlock=c.AudioDeviceGetPropertyMemory(id,0,false,"name")

Var DeviceName As String
if m<>nil then deviceName=m.CString(0).DefineEncoding(Encodings.UTF8)

When the device name contains characters higher than asc(127), like in my french-localised OS (“Écouteurs externes”), the result is truncated:

And the content of the MemoryBlock indeed isn’t complete:

I guess it’s a bug in the plugin, but perhaps I’m using the wrong way :man_shrugging:

The screenshot looks right, since the É is encoded as two bytes.
Seems like the defineEncoding calls din’t like to set the encoding correctly?

Can you try a

DeviceName = DefineEncoding(m, Encodings.UTF8).trim

Well, the problem is about the length, even in the memory block. Notice “externes” normally ends with “s”, but that “s” doesn’t appear even in the memory block.
I don’t think it’s an issue about DefineEncoding.

Can you try this new plugin here?

let me know whether it fixes it.

code like this for example:

Dim c As New CoreAudioMBS

Dim DefaultInputDeviceMem   As MemoryBlock = c.AudioHardwareGetPropertyMemory(c.kAudioHardwarePropertyDefaultInputDevice)
Dim DefaultInputDeviceID    As Integer = DefaultInputDeviceMem.Long(0)
Dim DefaultInputDeviceName  As String = c.AudioDeviceGetPropertyString(DefaultInputDeviceID, 0, True, c.kAudioDevicePropertyDeviceName)

MessageBox DefaultInputDeviceName

Dim DefaultOutputDeviceMem  As MemoryBlock = c.AudioHardwareGetPropertyMemory(c.kAudioHardwarePropertyDefaultOutputDevice)
Dim DefaultOutputDeviceID   As Integer = DefaultOutputDeviceMem.Long(0)
Dim DefaultOutputDeviceName As String = c.AudioDeviceGetPropertyString(DefaultOutputDeviceID, 0, True, c.kAudioDevicePropertyDeviceName)

MessageBox DefaultOutputDeviceName

Break
1 Like

I’m seeing a big improvement: c.AudioDeviceGetPropertyString now works (wouldn’t in previous plugin). Can you also fix AudioDeviceGetPropertyMemory, still broken, that I’m currently using, please?

Also, note sure whether it’s intended, but I’m getting a trailing chr(0) in the string version.

Thanks.

In C the trailing C is normal and you better use newer CF Properties if possible:

Dim DefaultInputDeviceMem    As MemoryBlock = c.AudioHardwareGetPropertyMemory(c.kAudioHardwarePropertyDefaultInputDevice)
Dim DefaultInputDeviceID     As Integer = DefaultInputDeviceMem.Long(0)
Dim DefaultInputDeviceCFName As CFStringMBS = c.AudioDeviceGetPropertyCFString(DefaultInputDeviceID, 0, True, c.kAudioDevicePropertyDeviceNameCFString)
Dim DefaultInputDeviceName   As String = DefaultInputDeviceCFName.Str

MessageBox DefaultInputDeviceName

and the AudioDeviceGetPropertyMemory works here:

Dim DefaultOutputDeviceMem As MemoryBlock = c.AudioHardwareGetPropertyMemory(c.kAudioHardwarePropertyDefaultOutputDevice)
Dim DefaultOutputDeviceID  As Integer = DefaultOutputDeviceMem.Long(0)

Dim mem1 As MemoryBlock = c.AudioDeviceGetPropertyMemory(DefaultOutputDeviceID, 0, False, c.kAudioDevicePropertyVolumeDecibels)
Dim VolumeDecibels As Single = mem1.SingleValue(0)

Dim mem2 As MemoryBlock = c.AudioDeviceGetPropertyMemory(DefaultOutputDeviceID, 0, False, c.kAudioDevicePropertyVolumeScalar)
Dim VolumeScalar As Single = mem2.SingleValue(0)

Break

PS: On the way, I added 20 new example snippets to the documentation.

I was aware of the trailing 0 in C, but was not sure about what CoreFoundation provides (whether it would be different than the MemoryBlock way). Thanks for telling me.

In your examples, yes. For getting the name (or other strings), it’s truncated:

Var DeviceName As String=c.AudioDeviceGetPropertyString(id,0,true,c.kAudioDevicePropertyDeviceName).DefineEncoding(Encodings.UTF8).ReplaceAll(Encodings.UTF8.Chr(0),"")

(I know I could use the String version, but for whatever reason (which I don’t remember right now), I’m using the MemoryBlock way at most places (I believe it’s because I’m storing raw values somewhere). I was just reporting that the MemoryBlock way misses one character).

Always a good thing to do :wink:

Thank you.