Bug fix response time?

Hi. I posted a bug report. Does anyone have any experience with how long this process takes? I am almost ready to release an app to the web, and this is my last problem that I am aware of.

Thanks.

Depends on the severity and prevalence of the bug. Xojo doesn’t make announcements until things are done though, so I would suggest coming up with a workaround.

[quote=237823:@Stuart Travis]Hi. I posted a bug report. Does anyone have any experience with how long this process takes? I am almost ready to release an app to the web, and this is my last problem that I am aware of.

Thanks.[/quote]

I’m in the same boat. I have devices that I use Xojo to program the firmware with. It’s a commercial device, and we have THOUSANDS out there. They, for the most part, stay connected at all times via our server (via a tcpSocket). I have to be extremely careful when pushing updates out, as if they suddenly stop contact with our server… we have to hire maintenance crews to go to each device and troubleshoot (thousands of dollars). If it’s a software issue, it will likely have to be sent here to my local office and updated manually (more thousands of dollars). Finding memory leaks, etc. in the framework (which is completely beyond our control as the consumer) is making me extremely frustrated… especially knowing that it’s taken years in the past for Xojo to fix some of the issues. They seem to be stepping up their game lately, however. So I’m holding my ‘going to lose my shit’ moment off for a bit.

First thing you should do is to post your bug report. Someone may have bumped into the same issue, and may be glad to share a workaround.

Second, don’t count on an immediate fix. Even if the bug was simple to fix (which is rarely the case), this will have to take place within the schedules. 2015R4 was just released. Which means the next release, 2016R1, will probably not get here before the end of the first quarter, say March.

The wisest course of action is to find a way to have your program work in the present state of things, in order to release.

Stuart, I stripped down your example to be just a set/retrieve of a cookie on Safari and it works just fine, so there’s something else going on with your example.

Greg:

Yes. If you set the cookie and retrieve it, it works fine. In fact the example program I submitted does that. Did you try leaving the website, and then returning? I have kept checking the code and now know it works on chrome, firefox, and opera on mac and windows, and with explorer with windows, but no safari on a mac.

Greg:

I just stripped my program down to set/retrieve, except I closed Safari and then came back. It did not work. I tried the same thing with Chrome, Opera, and Firefox on the mac and they all worked.

I suggest that you try the project that I attached. It only sets/gets the cookie, and that works fine with Safari here. If you can narrow down what’s different between your example and mine, maybe we can figure out what’s actually wrong.

Greg:

I tried your project and it does not work. Try it with safari. Create a cookie. Save a cookie. Copy your URL and then quit Safari. Restart the browser, and paste the URL in the address bar and the app will not recall the cookie.

In fact try the same procedure with any other browser and your app does not work.

Now, try the same procedure with my app… first with safari… it will not work. Repeat with Opera, Firefox and IT WILL work.

Have you checked the Safari preference for cookies?

[quote=237890:@Stuart Travis]Greg:

I tried your project and it does not work. Try it with safari. Create a cookie. Save a cookie. Copy your URL and then quit Safari. Restart the browser, and paste the URL in the address bar and the app will not recall the cookie.

In fact try the same procedure with any other browser and your app does not work.

Now, try the same procedure with my app… first with safari… it will not work. Repeat with Opera, Firefox and IT WILL work.[/quote]
Interesting. My app does work here, on all of the browsers I’ve tried. So there’s definitely something different going on between your computer and mine.

Please tell me:
0. Which version of OS X are you testing on
0. Which version of Safari are you using
0. Which language/locale do you have selected.

Also, you said that you created a stripped down version of your sample which also shows the problem? Please attach that to the feedback case if you haven’t already.

Antonio:

Great question, but I had already checked that.

Thanks.

Does your Safari install save/alter cookies for other NON-XOJO websites?. Don’t assume it does, make sure.

[quote=237957:@Stuart Travis]Antonio:

Great question, but I had already checked that.

Thanks.[/quote]

Ok, and have you checked the cookie using the tools in safari developer menu?