browse a Database

YES.

Valentina and Valentina Studio very love to work with Links. So of course we support FK-links in other relational dbs.
You can use FK-links for SQLite everywhere, in Schema Editor, in Data Editor, in Diagrams and in Query Builder.

Especially cool you will find Related Data Editor – which exists ONLY thanks to links :slight_smile:

We believe that Valentina Studio, even in free edition outperforms all other SQLite managers, even commercials that cost 20-70$.

BTW, we have prepared few days ago English movie introduction to Valentina Studio.
Take a look guys!

I like Navicat. I tried several others, even bought one other, but was not totally happy until I found Navicat. Really intutive interface. I own both the Windows and Mac versions, but use Windows most of the time.

[quote=15330:@Ruslan Zasukhin]BTW, we have prepared few days ago English movie introduction to Valentina Studio.
Take a look guys![/quote]

Ruslan, this looks great. I’ll have to study it later tomorrow, it is too much for now and it’s late here.
Thanks for sharing this fine tool.

Navicat…

I settled on Navicat Premium PC version last year even though I primarily code on Mac. I went PC due to the reporting module. I also bought the 3 years of updates which seemed a reasonable cost for a standard platform for MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQLite and SQL Server.

Well, Navicat

I think Valentina Studio outperforms Navicat in few areas. For example:

• Valentina Studio is FREE in its basic edition. And this edition can do a lots. Much more than do many 20-70$ managers.
    • PRO version of Vstudio cost 199$ with all db engines. Navicat it seems near to 500$
  • Valentina Studio works native on linux. Navicat only as wine
  • Reports in Navicat work only on Windows, as I know. Valentina Reports are really cross-platorm on 3 OS.
  • I believe we have much better diagrams. Also we give reverse engineering for free, they ask 70$ in AppStore version.

Yes, we have todo some things yet … But even hard to think which :slight_smile: For example Scheduler.

So once again, I invite everybody who says he love Navicat, Sequel Pro, Workbench, else to download Valentina Studio, get free serial and try to play with it. I think you can be surprised :slight_smile: And of course will be great to hear any critic and suggestions.

Right now we uploading 5.3 release. Will be on site in a 2-3 hours.

Hanspeter Stocker <rote earlier:

adding an existing SQLite Database to a project.
In the Editor window I can see all the Tables and Columns of that DB and I’m able to add, edit and delete them.

But how can I browse the Database ? (like in the old DB window of RB 2012 r2.1)
What do you really want to do ?

a. Browse the data in the IDE ?
b. Write code to be able to brwose the data in your application ?
c. I already get the answer I was searching for.

I ask because I am a little lost with all answers you get.

@Ruslan Zasukhin
I’ve downloaded the free version of Valentina Studio.
I want to register Valentina Studio, but I’m already a registered user from the past (Omegabundle 2011).
The Sign Up For Free License popup window indicates:
If you are a existing user - please, request free serials directly from Paradigma online store
http://www.valentina-db.com/en/store

When I go to the given url, I don’t see any possibility to get fee serials (or I must be blind).
How do I get the free serials?

Another vote for Base on the Mac. Fantastic little app.

DBVisualizer is an excellent tool, works on all major platforms and with a great number of different dbs:

As Ruslan already knows I believe Valentina Studio needs some more updates before it can be compared with DBVisualizer.

Just my 2-cents worth…

I thought that Xojo was supposed to be an upgrade to Real Studio. So far, I am one that is not seeing much improvement. The ability to browse a database was a nice feature that I would like to have again.

I am building a list of things that I have found to be a “downgrade” from the Real Studio IDE.

I would like to suggest that the Forum add a Section for those of us having issues transitioning from Real Studio to Xojo.

Ron Bower
Ellicott City, MD

I use the FireFox SQL Manager addon:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/sqlite-manager/

+1 for both Valentina Studio and SQLiteManager.

[quote=18220:@Ron Bower]Just my 2-cents worth…

So far, I am one that is not seeing much improvement. The ability to browse a database was a nice feature that I would like to have again.

I am building a list of things that I have found to be a “downgrade” from the Real Studio IDE.

I would like to suggest that the Forum add a Section for those of us having issues transitioning from Real Studio to Xojo.

Ron Bower
Ellicott City, MD[/quote]

Maybe. But there are so many free database browsers as mentioned in this forum. So why should Xojo inc try to compete with that, when they have much more important issues to solve.

I would find it more convenient Xojo inc make it possible to add your favourite Database browser into the preference

you mean like a launching of the db browser application whereever it is.

Yes

I do a lot of database manipulations and had to learn SQL from scratch. I use SQLite Expert Personal 3 browser which allows me to test my app in debug mode (i.e. are the values going in the right fields, is there data there, what type of data is it - so on and so forth). In 2012 with the DB browser I couldn’t do that easily and besides the 2012 browser was (IMO) a bit clunky and flakey. I’m not saying SQLite Expert is the only DB browser to do this but it works for me and has been a godsend to get my select, insert, create statements to work whilst actually looking at my code and without having to mess around with an internal browser.

So I for one would be not be in favour of xojo inventing a better mousetrap. All IMO of course.

i think Xojo Inc should just concentrate on what they need to do rather than to compete with other things that probably can’t do better (half bake).

Agreed, although I think it is really just a resource issue. If they really wanted to write a top flight database browser/editor for SQLite they could probably do that, but I’d much rather see them spend the cycles in other areas. Too many other good choices in the database browser field, many of them free or very reasonable cost. I personally use Navicat, their interface is fairly similar between Windows and the Mac, although not exact.

What do you need it for inside the IDE anyway?