bluetooth barcode thoughts

Hi all,

I was just wondering, why isn’t there any ios or android app that let act the device as a bluetooth barcode scanner, and outputs directly on a paired computer keyboard ?
well I understand that the apple bluetooth stack is mandatory restricted.
but the android one is not restricted, and I tried to find such a program for android and did not find one.

I found some, on ios and android, but the link to the computer is wifi, and you have to install some software on the computer to make it work.
why can’t it work with only bluetooth ?

Hi Jean-Yves,

I hope you don’t mind me pushing a question thru your posting - specifically regarding BTLE & iOS/XOJO support. I was not in attendance @ the Dev. Conference, and I don’t recall seeing anything regarding the future BTLE capabilities of iOS & XOJO. Based on your statement about restricted bluetooth are you saying the XOJO will not be able to support bluetooth connectivity?

What do you mean by BT restricted?
I have written test apps (not in Xojo however), the allowed me to type on iphone and recieve on desktop and vice versa

For my statement I was referring to iOS apps created in the XOJO IDE. I have seen no support for BT in XOJO.

Certain BTLE functionality is possible with declares although it is involved so I never spent the time adding it to iOSKit, especially since no one wanted it at the time. If you wanted to jump into the declares you could most likely accomplish whatever you need with BT, if it uses more async calls then the wrapping code will be much more complex, however.

Jean-Yves - sorry for hijacking your thread, it wasn’t my intent. To Jason… BTLE is becoming more and more important in my business. We have several smart devices that are in-line with process control and have BTLE embedded. Our ultimate goal is to use XOJO to create a iOS (and future Android) app for communicating serially with BTLE devices. Okay, I’ll back away from this thread now and give it back over to Jean-Yves. :slight_smile:

my question is “off-topic” so not based on xojo. can be any other.

Dave, if you made some apps that can talk from phone to computer and back via bluetooth, it seems that it can work.

I basically have to scan barcodes from time to time, and I dont want to invest in a dedicated scanner, that will be out of batteries when I need it, more over because I have a phone that is available at any time to do it.

and then you search for that app for your phone ( iphone) and cannot find any that work via bluetooth,
I’m just wondering why.

I would guess that any such app would use WIFI instead of BT for one simple reason… RANGE
With BT you need to be (I think) less than 10 meters for a Class 2 device (which is what an iPhone is)
but WiFi you can be 1/4 mile or more depending on the routers etc.

So with WiFi the recieving computer doesn’t have to be that close… PLUS one computer using Wifi can be a server to multiple devices, where BT would be much more limited…

From my limited experience with Bluetooth (I was researching it for an upcoming project), it’s pretty crap on iOS and what I can tell in unreliable on Android (heck BT in unreliable in general).

From the computer, I seem to recall that with some fiddling you can sent up a “serial port” through a Bluetooth connection, however from what I understand on iOS you’re basically not able to do the same, here lies the problem.

For our project we’re trying to implement a simple sharing system that operates locally to send small amounts of data; without an internet connection or the user having to fiddle with wi-fi. We have a solution for our purpose, but it’d not going to help you.

Back to your issue; if your computer is running a recent copy of macOS, you can take advantage of the Core Image Image Detector filters and look for a barcode in the video stream of a web cam. So if you could hook up an external camera, it’s all possible. Although to be honest, I’d probably go and buy an off the shelf USB barcode scanner. Install the driver and plug in the scanner and you’re good to go.

There is no problem with BT on the Android devices. We have created an app at work that uses BT and it works 100% without any problems. The app has been ported to iOS and it also works without any problems.

Coding is the most important part, if it does not follow specifications then you will have problems.

The two apps used Delphi RAD 10.1 for programming as we do not have Xojo at work. Point is , it does work.

point is : I want a wireless barcode scanner … to scan from time to time some barcodes, and it’s not far from my computer and it’s often heavy goods I cannot put in front of my macbook’s camera …

I could also be using a barcode scanner that can memorize 10-20 codes, and then with usb get them back on the mac.
if such thing exists.

[quote=292836:@Jean-Yves Pochez]point is : I want a wireless barcode scanner … to scan from time to time some barcodes, and it’s not far from my computer and it’s often heavy goods I cannot put in front of my macbook’s camera …

I could also be using a barcode scanner that can memorize 10-20 codes, and then with usb get them back on the mac.
if such thing exists.[/quote]

How about this one?
https://serialio.com/product/bluetooth-wireless/scanfob®-3002i-bluetooth-2d-barcode-scanner

Here they have some info about Bluetooth HID and MFi.
https://serialio.com/support/knowledgebase/barcode-scanners/general_article/Bluetooth_Modes
https://serialio.com/support/knowledgebase/barcode-scanners/general_article/MFi_Info

Thanks,
the shame is that these things cost more than my phone, that has everything to do it, except the right app !

Here is a Wireless Bluetooth bar code scanner for $50 that works well. It acts a keyboard wedge and has several modes of operations and can store internal barcodes. We have several of them.

Amazon - Bluetooth Barcode Scanner

[quote=292833:@George Balla]There is no problem with BT on the Android devices. We have created an app at work that uses BT and it works 100% without any problems. The app has been ported to iOS and it also works without any problems.

Coding is the most important part, if it does not follow specifications then you will have problems.

The two apps used Delphi RAD 10.1 for programming as we do not have Xojo at work. Point is , it does work.[/quote]
This is conflicting with the research I’ve obtained so far, I’d be really interested to know more about this. Are you using serial over BT or file exchange? If you’re willing to disclose some secrets (don’t need source code, just some descent ptrs), perhaps we could continue this discussion in a separate thread?