Blog: Ranting about platforms

Is it no longer possible to comment on the blog?

I am continually amazed at how anti-Microsoft Xojo seems to be, for example: http://www.xojo.com/blog/en/2013/09/microsoft-is-the-anti-apple.php … Even if Geoff is right, being a cross-platform developer tool maker, Xojo should be platform agnostic and not be involved in public rants about platform A or B. On a few occasions, I have wondered if Xojo is the right tool for me because the largest percent of my user base is Windows. Like it or not, that is who it is for me. Rants like the above make me question Xojo’s intent, no matter how many times they say they support Windows or that they will continue to do so. I often wonder with what fervor will they.

Ehhh. You just come back with $400’s magnetic pull on AAPL. LOL.

I’ve talked to Geoff and other engineers at the conferences. They tend to dish out criticism of Apple just as often. I wouldn’t make too much of single blog post.

[quote=33926:@Jeremy Cowgar]Is it no longer possible to comment on the blog?

I am continually amazed at how anti-Microsoft Xojo seems to be, for example: http://www.xojo.com/blog/en/2013/09/microsoft-is-the-anti-apple.php … Even if Geoff is right, being a cross-platform developer tool maker, Xojo should be platform agnostic and not be involved in public rants about platform A or B. On a few occasions, I have wondered if Xojo is the right tool for me because the largest percent of my user base is Windows. Like it or not, that is who it is for me. Rants like the above make me question Xojo’s intent, no matter how many times they say they support Windows or that they will continue to do so. I often wonder with what fervor will they.[/quote]

I completely agree with you Jeremy. I could right an article countering Geoff’s blog post, but Brad will probably beat me up ( just kidding Brad :-), we love you. ) As much as Microsoft has been the whipping boy, they still own market share for business computing.

The Apple fan boys amaze me touting Apple’s innovation - wow a plastic cased iPhone that come in colors, amazing. Looks like Apple is getting their innovation handed to them by Samsung right now. The iPhone is getting tired.

I think the Windows Surface commercials that go right at iPad are effective, it can do things and has features that iPad does not. The only issue is they are several years late to market which certainly was a BIG strategic mistake. But every company has those now and again, think Apple prior to Steve Job’s return. At the time, they were complaining that Microsoft was a monopoly and they couldn’t compete. What they were really complaining about was that Microsoft was more innovative, had less expensive software running on anyone’s hardware. That is how MS put the “strangle” on Apple. Had Apple had a better product that was price competitive Microsoft wouldn’t have market share today.

Things change in business, I certainly wouldn’t count MS out, don’t underestimate the power of market share, especially if they can appoint some new leadership.

I develop on Mac and for Mac. I build some of my applications for Windows and they run well.

I’m not sure to stay with Mac. It’s the first time I think about it for 40 years (yeah, a little less it’s true). And I’m happy to know that in this case, I’ll be able to continue to develop with the same tools (Xojo).

Then, I will be agree with all of you as I criticize Microsoft AND Apple :smiley: .

If a Xojo team come here, I’ve a question. For the past two years, which plateform gave you the more work to Xojo, Windows or Apple?

FWIW, Geoff’s criticism was spot-on, and Microsoft’s troubles with penetrating emerging tech markets has shown it. They missed the boat on search engines, allowing Google to dominate. They missed the boat on smart phones, allowing Apple and others to dominate. When they do try to change, they come out with Windows 8 which is mostly unusable.

Apple, for years, had been encouraged to be “more like Microsoft”. There is nothing wrong in now encouraging Microsoft to be more like Apple. Competition in a free market is good for all of us.

MS did at one time have anti-competetive business practices.
Its why they were convicted and had to work under the consent decree.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corporation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARD_code

MS did at one time have anti-competetive business practices.
Its why they were convicted and had to work under the consent decree.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corporation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARD_code[/quote]

Do you really think Microsoft’s anti-competitive business practice is what hurt Apple? How does a company like MS get in a position in the first place to place anti-competitive leverage on their competitors? Apple made some huge strategically bad business decisions regarding hardware and their operating system that caused businesses to “decide” to purchase MS products instead (lower hardware cost, lower software cost). As a result MS gained market share. I would say Apple has been doing that to Microsoft in the last decade.

Maybe latter MS leveraged their market share unfairly, but how can someone who isn’t innovating get in that place in the first place?

Microsoft copied and cared more to being cheap instead of being good… being ‘good enough’ instead of ‘insanely great’… Businesses looked primarily at price… that is how they got where they were , not innovation

Reminds me of the difference between satisficing and optimal decision making. Humans tend to engage in the former.

You mean this insanely great?

We can differ in opinion but I would say that it “met the customers need at a reasonable price.” I think this WAS innovative at the time. Had Apple had something “insanely great” at the same cost at the same time, they would have won. Right now Apple might be insanely great, but they are also insanely priced.

I wouldn’t argue that MS has made some massive strategic mistakes, especially in the mobile space. When it comes to computing I want choices, not what Apple tells my choices will be. I think that is why businesses predominately choose MS. Let’s face it, if you can buy your sales force a laptop for $500 each that gets the job done, or faced with a MacBook for $1,200 + and you have to buy 10 of them - its just math.

I think at this point, we’re just arguing preferences and there is certainly room for both.

I have Macs for years. I have iPhone and iPad. My 2 daughters have iPod and iPhone. They know Apple because of me. But now, they want a Samsung, they don’t want an iPhone/iPod anymore.
Not because of me, but because of Apple. They made mistake too.

Apple made some huge strategically bad business decisions regarding hardware and their operating system that caused businesses to “decide” to purchase MS products instead (lower hardware cost, lower software cost). As a result MS gained market share. That positioned their business in a niche completely different than Microsoft. The hi-value user. Microsoft domains the mid-range user, and Apple does not give signs of invading and competing in this market.

Geoff’s critique of Microsoft seemed pretty spot on, and I don’t see anything wrong with a tool vendor publicly criticizing a platform vendor’s strategy in a thoughtful manner.

However, I think Geoff has too rosy a view of Apple. Apple is almost as prone to stagnation as Microsoft. Has there been any significant innovation with iPhones in the last 3 years? I can’t think of any. Apple seems either blind to or paralyzed by the rise of Android. I love OS X, but I find Android/Samsung to be superior in every conceivable way to iOS/iPhone — and most people obviously agree with me, as Android is quickly relegating iOS to niche status (in less than 2 years, iOS will have <10% market share, i.e, it’s headed for Blackberry status). (Not sure why Xojo chose to prioritize the mobile OS with rapidly dwindling market share over the clear winner — probably has something to do with Xojo’s customer base being heavily Mac, but it doesn’t seem like the best long-term strategy.)

Based on what?
IMO it’s way better than “XP”, “Vista” and “7”, and if i had to choose between OSX and Windows 8 i woold choose the latter.

And why is Apple more innovative than MS? They copied too the ideas from Xerox and used a BSD unix. Their harware is just ordinary pc stuf, nothing special at all. Their design better, i think it’s incredible boring by now, the same of the same for years already. They are far more expensive just as the software for the Mac. Availability of (business) software is FAR less than for windows.
Didn’t they also kill Digital Research’s GEM because of the ‘copied’ trashbin?

I think that every business in the size of MS and Apple use dirty commercial ‘tricks’.

As for the mobile market, MS, Apple and Google competes. Google is king, Apple tries to maintain their declining market, and MS is in other OS’s category for me.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/windows-phone-android-vault-ahead-smartphone-market-share-6C10871655

I agree. They are two different companies. Apple is in the hi-value user market, but that market is highly susceptible to market changes like Google taking Apple share. As fast as Apple grew it, they can lose it. But MS still has the lions share of the business market and I doubt seriously Apple can tear away at that, and there in lies my premise. I think looking back in 5 years that will be conscience decision that Apple made that will be viewed as a mistake, as big as MS not getting into and taking mobile more seriously. iPhone will pass, it is getting old and tired, perhaps all mobile devices are, but Android is hurting Apple. Maybe Apple has something up their sleeve, but plastic colored iPhones ain’t gonna do it! In a few years, they could be in real trouble. It does seem cyclical to me (think Blackberry).

Sure, the videos Geoff referred to were probably in poor taste. But you have to admit, having people wrapped around a building waiting for a new iPhone that has rounded corners rather than square is rather funny! Apple knows how market their products and the cool-aid. I’ll give them that.

Recently one employee of Microsoft Switzerland was able to build up a complete hidden license selling business - inside of MS Switzerland, taking the money in his own pocket.

Which is just a symptom for Microsoft’s misery : Their line of products has become intransparent, the licensing is an incomprehensible nightmare (imagine : one needs to pass a certification for licensing) , the manuals are full of buzzwords and marketing-yadayada, the website is a jungle and since many years they are not able to bring good ideas successfully to market (Tablet was announced in 2000 …). Microsoft has become so fat and complicated that they do not even discover the rotten mafia-like subculture growing within.

And they have completely forgotten small businesses and self-employeed persons. If I was Ballmer’s successor, I would fire the marketing people and half of the employees and trim down everything to make Microsoft again what it once was: lean and hungry and innovative.

Whereas Apple has become a victim of its own myth: Now they HAVE TO be innovative. All the time. Even if it does not make any sense. So it seems like they start to do the same nonsense that MS has been doing with office: just change it and change it again - even though nobody asked for it. For instance iPhone 5s : OMG! SOOO INNOVATIVE!!! BEAUTIFULLY CRAFTED PLASTIC !!! OMG OMG …
It’s just hysterical. Or pathetic.

Keep it simple and serviceable. Protect investments, especially investments in hardware, software and training. Be a bit more consistent, lasting. Less change, more solidity - this is what I would like to see on all sides.

[quote=33964:@Joseph E]
We can differ in opinion but I would say that it “met the customers need at a reasonable price.” [/quote]

That actually is catering to the lowest common denominator not leading. not innovating. It did not meet customer needs so much and people were forced to use it by the bean counters warts and all…

True innovation is providing solutions customers did not realize they needed.

Apple took what they saw at Xerox Parc, fleshed it out and took it to the next level before introducing it. MS, after seeing what apple did, created an inferior cheap knockoff (and that is what early versions of Windows certainly were).

Oliver, the 5S is the 64 bit version that people will pay extra money to run 32 bit software and say they have the latest version that unlocks reading their fingerprints. The plastic one is 5C.