Blog Post: The End of Carbon Support

As you can see from this blog post, we are going to remove Carbon support from 2014r3. If you have any questions, we’ll do our best to answer them. You can read the details here:

http://www.xojo.com/blog/en/2014/07/the-end-of-carbon-support.php

Will the constant TargetCarbon remain in the framework for a LONG time? I don’t think it would gene really need to be removed… I have lots of code with #If TargetCarbon i would rather not have to update !

• Karen

There’s still Target68k in the language, so I think it’d be safe to assume TargetCarbon will stick around.

[quote=110301:@Travis Hill]As you can see from this blog post, we are going to remove Carbon support from 2014r3. If you have any questions, we’ll do our best to answer them. You can read the details here:

http://www.xojo.com/blog/en/2014/07/the-end-of-carbon-support.php[/quote]

R.I.P.

[h]#JumpingToConclusions[/h]

As the presence of Carbon is hindering iOS support and therefore you are removing Carbon support in the Q3 release, this suggests to me iOS will not be around until at lease Q4 release (Dec 2014/Jan 2015) at the earliest…

Hilariously ignorant.

And why? The blog clearly says it is interfering with iOS support.

Is this your normal strike me down childish post brad?

I got the “As”. I didn’t want to dignify the uninformed conclusion by quoting it.

That’s not what it means. Delivering iOS functionality alongside Carbon is where the problems come in. We are still targeting this fall for iOS support.

Right, thanks Travis.

As Joe said the only thing that will disappear is the choice of Carbon as a framework in the IDE settings.

So I can keep all my TargetVIC20 code then?

If you can find the hidden compiler flag, sure.

Do you have any idea when 2014 R3 will be available?

Hehe. I have.

[quote]Rick Araujo Hehe. I have.
[/quote]

Your Avatar is appropriate, you are a joker !

Read this and understand. https://forum.xojo.com/12860-where-is-my-xojo-2014r2

Obviously I did not noticed the change (I discovered the term quarterly that replaced the original “90 days”):

[quote]Question #1
How frequently do you release updates?
Updates to Xojo are released quarterly.
[/quote]

That is why we do not get a release from January to early June 2013.

Fall: synonym of autumn.
Autumn: season that start on September 21st and ends on December 20th.

Autumn
In clear terms, using this sentence is only confusing (Fall → Autumn have two different dates dependng on the planet hemisphere, and at best is misleading).

Please: do not argue on start / end dates of Autumn since it varies from where you are / talk to. Keep in mind Xojo is located in the USA and dates are September / December.

BTW: this reply is a simple answer, not the start of a flame of any kind. I love when I understand things. Now I know that quarterly is from 90 days to 120 days. I do not understand that before.
In France, I always understand trimestre (3 months) publication as “once each three months”; there is four trimestres for a year, so this is near quarterly (did you notice the difference in the prefixes ?
TRI (for trois / three) / QUARTER (for 1/4th of a year)
It is just like SEPTember of the ninth (9) month of the year; but in this case I know why… thanks to Julius Caesar… (July and Antony for August).

Wisdom is to prefer Xojo releases with the least bugs over “every 90 days” possibly less reliable versions.

As for the choice between Carbon and iOS, yes, by all means, please drop the old bag.

Hey - leave my sister out of this conversation :slight_smile: