BKeeney Shorts and pdf

Bob, you’re saying exactly what has kept me from entering the market. I may still get there with a few products, but it’s just a side line at this point and not worth a ton of effort.

I can not speak for others but I will be very greedy here and say “Please oh please oh please don’t leave the market” I own majority of the products you offer. And the others are the on the want list (not yet on the need list).

Bob, you have done wonders for the Xojo (and Real Basic) community. Please don’t let one person drive you out of it.

I have been VERY happy with BKShorts and MBS Dyna PDF in the present state… so much that a while back I posted to the world what a great combo they make. I can’t say enough good things about the level of Service that Bob brings to the tables with his product offers. With BK Shorts, I had 2 snags in which case Bob came through with a suggestion to my code and a fix that solved it.

In reading Bob’s thread above, what I like here is that he uses his own toolkit that he sales in the consulting services he provides. Given that consulting services projects come in all different shapes and sizes, it means his toolkit will get enhanced to meet future needs.

Lastly, as far as PDF options are concern with BKShorts… this is currently working with MBS Dyna PDF.

Just one thing.If If you can’t do something, don’t promise.
We don’t need that someone give us the moon. Just give things promised and for what we pay. JUST THAT.

And Bob, to respond to you publicly : Yes you give me a version that was totally buggy and unsusable in counterpart to not have support. this version go to trash immediately after you last mail answer. And NO, i’m not badgered you to make a release just for me… but for all people that have bought BSK Shorts and waiting for promised functions. In France we call that ‘Publicit mensongre’.

@Bob Keeney

I wasn’t being serious in my previous post. I use Shorts with DynaPdf and its running almost all of my customers reports.
I’m more than happy with it. :wink:

Quote from the Shorts WebPage: “We plan on enhancing the product based on feedback and on our own needs.”

That sentence does not imply a timeframe. I don’t care what country you’re from, or language you speak, there is no implied anything in that statement other than “maybe, someday,” we’ll do an upgrade.

I am done responding to this thread. You are not worth my time and several people responded offline in support of that very sentiment.

@Bob Keeney I’m not the only one waiting for your promised things… maybe people don’t tell you directly. I’m not that kind of guy.
Yes, French is my first language but I think understand better than I wrote english. So sorry if I hurting you, but I’m not the only one having bought BKShorts expecting the things that will come ‘later’. Look who open this thread :wink:
I only contribute saying that I’m waiting too some updates to the product since 2013.

P.S. I have buy an access to your training section since 2013 too, so i’m not so unhappy with you, it’s 199$ each year… :slight_smile:

@Bob Keeney, some customers just need to be fired.

Dang… I keep seeing Bob accused of not delivering on a “promise”… yet now where do I see any “promises” explicit or implied…

What I do see is statements that to me boils down to… “it will be done and delivered when its done and delivered”…

But he never said WHEN it was going to happen. So even if you consider it to be a promise, he hasn’t broken it because time isn’t over yet. :slight_smile:

Seriously…just like with Xojo, you need to buy things for what they are today and not for what they might become in the future. It’s totally fair to be annoyed that a feature isn’t there when you want it to be, but unless there’s specific wording that says if/when you’re entitled to it, you make do with what you purchased.

Hey, DynaPDF Starter is only $199. (or $399 via OmegaBundle).
Not much compared to hourly rates for a developer.

Only if he has those notifications enabled.

Gee, maybe I should have said something this:

“Here’s the list of things we are considering for future updates. We have no timetable and we make no promises as to even if these features will happen. Don’t expect them in the next release. Don’t expect them ever. These are wish list items ONLY and we haven’t even researched them yet. Only plan on the features the product has today.”

[quote=161620:@Christian Schmitz]Hey, DynaPDF Starter is only $199. (or $399 via OmegaBundle).
Not much compared to hourly rates for a developer.[/quote]
I have gotten the PDF Classes to work with Shorts BUT not on Linux and there are a few issues in Windows too. DynaPDF works NOW and it works well with no new work on my part. There are other items in Shorts that are a higher priority (for now).

Now I understand why Xojo never tells us ANYTHING about future plans except in the most broad of terms. Some in the community will take that as a ‘promise’.

And for what it’s worth, the web page for Shorts no longer has any future plans stated on it. Simple enough. No “promises” of new features, updates, or anything. It is what it is now and if you want a feature ask for it but I’ll make no guarantee that it’s honored.

Seriously, it’s no wonder that that tools developers leave the market.

Could you tell me what issues you see on Windows? Are they specific to the PDF classes?

I’m using the last version of Asher’s open source classes in apps deployed on Windows and Macs and am working on updating one of those apps now.

Thanks,

• Karen

Yes, specific to the PDF classes. It has to do with how they’re loading the Font file to get some of the metrics out of it. Since the Mac usually has all those files it’s no big deal, but Windows and Linux probably won’t have the Adobe specific fonts (Helvetica for example). The PDF classes drill down to find the metrics and just throws an exception when it doesn’t find it. It only exhibits itself in a couple of the examples in the demo - forget which one at the moment.

If it was a trivial fix I would have done it a year ago but it’s one of those things that I’ll need to dive deep full-time for a couple of days and I never quite seem to get that extra time.

I’m willing to barter if you are - you may very well be the ‘expert’ on the classes at this point. Contact me offline if you are interested. :slight_smile:

But all seriousness aside, Bob, sounds like you need a little lovin’ (and maybe a laugh or two) and I’ve got just the ticket … BTW, it’s the only image I could find that most closely matched your physique, so I figure it must fit. ^^

I am using the Formatted Text Control and I am very satisfied about this control and the service Bob Keeney and his staff provide. When contacting them in the past, they where very helpfull and responsive. I reeceived a reply within 24 hours.

Bob Keeney does a lot for the Xojo community. His market with him many others, is in the consulting business. I remember his very open review about the new Xojo release back in 2013. Xojo would not be where it stands today without people like Bob, Christian, Kern and many others. That is the reason why we have to support these people because they invest a lot of their valuable time in helping others. Keep up the good work!

Signed!

I believe that is a quote that Bob has said before.