Big Sur just released. Hang on tight

The crashes happens with 3.0.13
But there is a workaround. You need to flick the ‘Format’ pulldown menu ones (set it to HFS+ , even it is already selected). Then it does not crash.
The dev already is aware of this.

1 Like

Unfortunately that didn’t help with 2.4.5 but a quick $10 upgrade and yes, that does help a lot. Thank you.

As I’ve shared throughout the past year - I hated Catalina (Crapalina) and only updated one of my dev systems for testing.

However, having worked with Big Sur through the entire beta cycle and on the ASi DTK, This will be the first macOS release since OS X 10.0.8 that I’ve installed from the launch on all of my personal systems.

2 Likes

I spend a bit of time back and forth with the dev this afternoon, sent him a video of the crash and crash logs. He was able to reproduce and believes it’s a Big Sur bug but has a workaround. A test copy worked fine for me, hopefully will be released soon. The workaround mentioned here worked for me as well but was not 100% consistent.

I just noticed I don’t have 2019r3.2 in my folder of old-but-useful builds, it is possible to download this from somewhere?

That’s encouraging, thanks. Still clinging to High Sierra here. Heck, I’d still be on Snow Leopard if not for nothing working on it anymore :frowning:

2 Likes

Log into your account at Xojo. You can access previous builds from the downloads page.

1 Like

As a developer I really cannot understand why you would keep using such an old version.
I mean, it WILL not show issues that when your customers are running for example macOS 11.00

2 Likes

3.0.14 is released and works (for me) again.

1 Like

3 out of 10 of my few customers of MacOS USES MacOS lower than 10.12 and it will make me sick soon. I´ll lose them when upgrading some of my software, but right now I also can’t attend Crapolina+. I’m trapped between 2 worlds.

2 Likes

While I write MacOS utilities for myself, anything I write for clients is targeted for Windows. I run my business and my life on a MacBook and cannot tolerate the disruption of frequent unstable OS releases for the sake of a new look or a new way for Apple to try to sell me stuff I don’t want. I heard enough complaints about Catalina to actively avoid it. If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.

5 Likes

Windows have changed just as often, arguable more so. The difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10 for example is more than Snow Leopard to Catalina.

Be that as it may, apps I wrote in XP days still work fine under Win 10. It depends on what you’re doing and how close to the bleeding edge you ride. A large cross-platform app I wrote in 2012 had to be abandoned for MacOS because it’s just too much trouble to update it to 64-bit and new Xojo syntax (for no compensation).

3 Likes

Several (I’d say “a lot of”) models can’t go beyond 10.11. The 4 Macs I currently own are in this case (but I did manage to install 10.14 unofficially on the 3 which could). For most users having these models, though, the official way of staying with 10.11 is the chosen one.

2 Likes

I can say of several apps I’m using that are still 32 bits only and died in the transition; some don’t have a 64 bit equivalent, even made by other developers.
Still keeping 10.14 here, and I’m far from alone.

1 Like

I never updated to Catalina, and I may never update to Big Sur either. I ran into the problem described in this article where programs on my machine wouldn’t launch. I find this type of thing to be unconscionable and if Apple doesn’t make it right I will not buy another computer from them. I bought into all their nice words about privacy and I plan to give them the benefit of the doubt for a while to see how they respond, but honestly I’m not getting my hopes up.

It seems on Big Sur there are processes that don’t abide by the VPN rule to send all traffic over the VPN and also aren’t subject to the current APIs that allow firewalls to filter traffic. Couple that with the lack of options for operating systems on the new M1 machines and it seems like Apple is turning into too much of a control freak. They seem to claim to do these things in the name of security and privacy, but I wonder whose security and privacy they are looking out for. I don’t want to own and operate a computer that someone else is really in control of.

Thanks goodness for linux. My son who is in 2nd grade runs Manjaro on an old 2007 iMac and it runs quite well. I think I’d be quite happy with it on my MacBook Pro. I’m just getting sick of companies that think they own their customers and don’t feel an obligation to do what’s right from the customers perspective. It seems to be endemic in the tech industry these days. :frowning:

3 Likes

Because we code at the HAL/Kernel layer for a lot of our stuff, I find that Tiger 10.4.11 is the best technically stable and complete version of OS X that has been released. I still have a Mac Pro 2,1 tower running it here in my lab.

Give it time. This is the first release of the new hardware and the new software combination since OS X 0.9 BETA. Rosetta 2 is doing a fantastic job in allowing X86 apps to run on the M1, and, while Apple is not responsible for what you’re discussing here, both VMware and Parallels have already indicated that full x86 VM support for Apple Silicon is coming.

We were still building PPC versions of some of tools to support research and edu installs where they were still running G5 Xserves and 10.5.8. Since it was so easy for us to continue building with the old version of REAL.Studio and our G5 Tower, there was no reason NOT to support them (since they were paying).

I was referring to the ability to repurpose the hardware by installing a different boot os. It’s unclear if you will be locked in on the new hardware or not.