Big ProgressWheel

Somehow, the ProgressWheel icon in the library is deceitful : once dropped over the window, the rickety 16 pixels wide thing appears extremely tiny. Like a poor little cursor jumped away from the mouse.

The library icon, on the other hand, with its 90 pixels diameter, is much more visible.

So what I did was to lift the library icon, render the background transparent, and rotate the picture in a canvas with a timer.

Now it’s more like it.

Wheel project

I am also experimenting with a fully drawn solution, using Alwyn Bester’s method at https://forum.xojo.com/9633-how-do-i-get-x-y-values-on-a-circle-perimeter. But it will take a while to complete.

Very nice Michel.

Thank you for posting it.

Bonjour Michel,

C’est pas mal, mais le problme est que l’image ne tourne pas sur un axe fixe.
Ce qui fait un dcalage a chaque rotation, pourtant ton image est bien de 45 pixel de cot au dpart.

nice work… like when it is bouncing a bit took

[quote=83372:@Pierre-Guy Lecompte]C’est pas mal, mais le problème est que l’image ne tourne pas sur un axe fixe.
Ce qui fait un décalage a chaque rotation, pourtant ton image est bien de 45 pixel de coté au départ.[/quote]

J’ai remarqué, mais l’image est parfaitement symétrique. Je penche pour un effet d’optique.

Here is a new ProgressWheel where the rectangles are drawn dynamically in different shades.

This one does not wobble at all :slight_smile:

Download the BigProgressWheel project here.

Michel… I hope you don’t mind but I took the liberty of making some modifications to your code.
Basically I encapsulated the entire thing in a self-contained “container control” so it can be dragged and dropped
as a single entity (and you can even have multiple independant instances)… and the rotation period can be controlled as well.

I gave full credit to you in the notes, as well as a link to this forum topic.

Self Contained Big Progress Wheel

hi dave,

the link go to your website web store without the link to the progress wheel

Self Contained Big Progress Wheel

I keep promising myself that I am going to learn how to type someday :slight_smile:

[quote=84552:@Dave S]Michel… I hope you don’t mind but I took the liberty of making some modifications to your code.
Basically I encapsulated the entire thing in a self-contained “container control” so it can be dragged and dropped
as a single entity (and you can even have multiple independant instances)… and the rotation period can be controlled as well.[/quote]

Dave, I believe we all benefit from sharing knowledge, and what you did is very nice indeed. It will be much easier for others to apply now :slight_smile: Thank you for improving the project.

Great work Michel for pioneering this. I am going to use it today :slight_smile: Also Thanks Dave for adding the container control!

Have you thought about a colored version?
Just an idea :slight_smile:

When I was encapsulating it in the container control… Yes I thought about a color version
which can be done by changing the pseudo-gradient that is there now to a true gradient…

Are you saying that it is currently possible to change the gradient somehow, in the latest BigWheel control?

Thanks.

Not yet. :slight_smile:

Phew !
I knew I was a novice but didn’t think I was that rubbish :slight_smile:

Glad that my little idea is of use. Even if it started with a wobbly wheel :wink:

[quote=84659:@Dave S]When I was encapsulating it in the container control… Yes I thought about a color version
which can be done by changing the pseudo-gradient that is there now to a true gradient…[/quote]

The container control is a great idea. makes it so easy to use. Just one detail : the canvas should be locked in to prevent to move it by mistake. It is transparent and moves to easily.

As for color, I thought of that as well. It is quite easy to do : instead of a unique variable “couleur”, each color can have a different value, which can be modified each time the time ticks. The trick will be to set the increment in function of the original color to keep a constant color along the gradient.

It will not look like an Apple or Android Progress Wheel once colors are applied, though.

Since I completed this, I have been more sensitive to the other progress wheels : the only one in color I can think of is the one used by Paypal :

There is also the one from Windows ; a series of white spots of various sizes going around in a newtonian movement.

And the Linux one is made or circles that go around like a bracelet rosary.

Room for more creations :wink:

Maybe you could earn a second income by selling a BigProgresWheel in all the colours of the rainbow :slight_smile:

I am not too sure the market would be so profitable :wink: I rather make income from credit card paid apps in the MAS or on my web sites.

But you are right : it could look like a spinning rainbow umbrella, with a color by branch. Then it would somehow be a cousin of the color beach ball cursor.

Or it could use a color gradient.

I am certain that color will be implemented sooner rather than later. By me, Dave or another :wink:

Cool.
Someone could make a few versions, for example:

Rainbow coloured
Red
Blue
Green
Yellow

That would probably cater for most peoples needs - if not, they could simply edit the colour values in the code, and make their own shades.

Wish I was more advanced - then I would do it for everyone :frowning: