Big Jump in Libs Size - Windows

App written on Apple. Compiled for Windows.

Compiled in older version of Real, the Libs contained RBGUIFramework.dll, msvcp120.dll & msvcr120.dll - size ~ 3.3 MB

Same program (no changes) compiled on latest XOJO include the same Libs dll’s plus three lcu??53.dll’s - size now ~ 28MB !!

Is this REALLY necessary? The compiled app is only 2.4 MB.

[quote=161980:@Art Peters]App written on Apple. Compiled for Windows.

Compiled in older version of Real, the Libs contained RBGUIFramework.dll, msvcp120.dll & msvcr120.dll - size ~ 3.3 MB

Same program (no changes) compiled on latest XOJO include the same Libs dll’s plus three lcu??53.dll’s - size now ~ 28MB !!

Is this REALLY necessary? The compiled app is only 2.4 MB.[/quote]

Windows does not contain support for a lot of functions and data type in the new framework, such as the Text type that fully supports Unicode. So, as it is often necessary with Windows, Xojo apps have to “bring their own”.

At an age where the standard hard drive is 500 GB, a few MB make very little difference, while the new additions are extremely precious to some developers. But if you are squeezed for space, as you noted, older versions take less room, and may be the solution, if you do not use the elaborate features provided by the current issue.

This is a quote from another thread a few weeks ago:

[quote=150476:@Bob Coleman]Those are the ICU library. It is included in Windows because there is no direct equivalent built into Windows like is available on OSX and Linux.
http://site.icu-project.org/[/quote]

See <https://xojo.com/issue/37646>

Thank you, all.

My problem is that my app is free for D/L. I am uncertain how much it is d/l-ed. But, if it is frequent and my costs rise, I’ll be forced to remove it. With the app more than 4 times larger than before there may be problems.

FYI - The app helps persons who have a need for radio communications in the world’s only ‘radio quiet zone’ apply for authority to transmit and meet the super strict requirements. Green Bank, WV - NRAO keywords.

Art

I’m not sure what your current set up is, but Dropbox doesn’t stop your web sharing unless you really eat up bandwidth, and HostGator plans have unlimited bandwidth.

Where are you hosting your app ?

Is there a reason you need to use the latest version of Xojo?

The necessary libs are 20+ MB bigger, but Inno Setup crunched this down pretty well for my application. In the end, the Setup.exe file was only about 4 MB bigger than the previous builds. And that is really the concern, how long the download is, not the microscopic 20 MB on the disk. “In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida.mp3” is bigger than that!

I remember when that song was released!

Interesting choice for a file size comparison for sure. :wink:

• Karen (who is dating herself!)

Hi, I haven’t heard them offering this. At which plan is this please?